4.0 roller rockers ......anyone? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-1999, 02:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.0 roller rockers ......anyone?

Mopar Performance has a roller rocker for the 4.0 (probably a Moroso or ?)........has anyone done it ..or know anyone who has? .....or am I going to be trailblazing here? The installation requires a spacer for the valve cover so it apparently adds some height under the hood.

Gary
99TJ

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-1999, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 4.0 roller rockers ......anyone?

I tried posting to this this morning and the BBS went away. A few minutes ago the question went away. I think we still have some bugs.
================================================== ===============================================

Roller Rockers? Yes, it took me awhile to find out this much.

Mopar does sell roller rockers for 4.0L head. I think that they are a little expensive. $80.91 per cylinder is the discounted Jobber Price. That's $485 for the set. I am hoping that this price list is wrong. Last year's the price for a set of 6 was $242. I was thinking that was too much. I think the $ per Horsepower ratio is very high for this upgrade. What will this give your motor maybe 10 or 15 more HP?

I beleive that we have an alternative, but I don't know anyone who has tried it. The 258 and 304 share the same valve train parts. Push Rods, Valve Springs, Retainers and Rocker Arms. I used my stock 258 Rocker Arms on my 4.0L Head when I replaced the head. The only difference that I could find between the two rocker arms was the size of the hole at the bottom of the rocker arm. One was rounded and the other was squared with rounded corners.

I think that you could use a rocker arm that was designed for the 304 on both the 258 Head and the 4.0L Head. Last time I check the price they were less that $200 for a set of 16 roller tipped and would not required a valve cover spacer. I haven't check the price recently. You might want to call one of the cam makers and see what they have to say.

I also have a message into Mike at ProTech to see what the current price is for the Mopar Performance Rockers.

Let us know what you do and how well it works.

Tim Weaver
89-YJ 258MPI, 4.0L Head, Auto

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-1999, 07:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Default Re: 4.0 roller rockers ......anyone? thanks!

I tried to post a couple of times to no avial.....I hope this one makes it.
Thanks...for the effort! Ya....they appear to be expensive...dorfs found a price of $68.xx somewhere. I'd like to find out who actually manufactures them.....I doubt that Chrysler actually tools the stuff....probably a relabel job. I'll check into the 304 rollers......sounds like it might be a whole bunch cheaper.
Yes, this is a poor "bang for the buck" installation......a cat-back and/or chip mod might yield more for less. I hope to relieve internal friction and maybe pick up a few ponies along the way. Longevity is my goal. I also want totally reversable bolt on installations (mainly if I ever need to use the warranty).
Gary

Old 09-23-1999, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Default Re: 4.0 roller rockers ......anyone? update

Cifford Performance has them.......seems that they want around $425 for the set... straight bolt on -no machining of the head as with some others (drilling and tapping the stud mounts).....the valve cover spacer is $135.......$560......still salty.........I still haven't gotten to the 304 rollers.......
GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement