my heater is always blowing hot air! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default my heater is always blowing hot air!

It just started doing this, why? It runs all the time out of the defrosters...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: my heater is always blowing hot air!

I believe that the doors in the heat system in the dash are vac. controlled. Sometimes you have to put a mini (size of dime) diaphram into the vac lines going into the dash. This may not be your problem at all but one of my mechanics used to work for dodge and said that they had a recall on caravans I think and this was the solution. During acceleration the lack of vac causes the vac operated doors to open allowing air into the defroster. Like I said, this may not be your problem but good luck. SKEETER

89 XJ chevy 350, 700r4, 231c, 4.5 Rough Country
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2000, 11:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to check is the operation of the vacuum operated valve in the heater hose in the engine compartment. This valve is normally closed, meaning it needs vacuum to open. When the engine is running and the cabin control is not calling for heating, vacuum closes the valve, stopping flow thru the heater core. When the engine is shut down, the lack of vacuum allows the valve to open therby allowing coolant to flow bypassing the closed engine thermostat. This allows the pressures to equalize and prevents an air bound system. If the valve fails in the open position, you would get hot coolant through the core at all times. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2000, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was it, stuck valve!
Thanks!

Old 04-13-2000, 11:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]You're welcome!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My post is somewhat inaccurate, however. Upon reading it again, I realize that the open heater hose valve doesn't bypass the engine thermostat. The valve will let the pressures equalize across the water pump, not the thermostat.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.