2.5L to 2.8L swap need info, please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2001, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 2.5L to 2.8L swap need info, please!

I have a '85 XJ with 2.5L motor, 904 tranny with 207 NP transfer case. I want to put in a 2.8 chevy motor in the XJ. Will 2.8 bolt to 904 tranny? Will blazer or s-10 exhaust manifolds work in XJ motor compartment? How about tranny kickdown, will it work with chevy linkage? Is 2.8 chevy different than 2.8's offered in XJ's? I was thinking about putting an edelbrock manifold with small 4 barrel carb on motor to make things simple? Any input would be most appreciated? I have had nothing but problems with the 2.5 and also finding parts for that motor!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2001, 06:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 2.5L to 2.8L swap need info, please!

SAMURI17, I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL SWAP IN OR NOT AS ALL THE CONTACT IVE HAD WITH THE 2.8 I WOULD NOT USE IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BOAT ANCHOR. I HAVE AN 84 S10 BLAZER WITH A 2.8 THAT U CAN HAVE IF U WANT IT. TAKE THE WHOLE TRUCK. LEAKS MORE OIL THAT IT USES GAS AND ITS UNDER POWERED AT BEST. IVE NEVER SWAPED IN A 2.8 TO ANYTHING JUST BECAUSE OF THAT AND I THINK MOST PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD WILL AGREE THAT IF U R GOING TO TAKE THE TIME AND EFFORT TO DO A MOTOR SWAP U SHOULD LOOK AT AND I6 WITH FI OR SOMETHING OTHER THAN A 2.8 SORRY I CANT HELP WITH THE SWAP INFO BUT THAT JUST MY THOUGHT ON THE MATTER. SORRY IN ADVANCE IF I OFFENEDED ANY 2.8 OWNERS !!!
GOOD LUCK !!

89 2D XJ, 9 " OF LIFT, LOCKED F&R, 4.56, 4.1 LR, 38 X 12.5 TSLs AND TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST !!

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2001, 08:16 AM
Veteran

mudslide is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree.Ive heard the 2.5s are actually more dependable than the 2.8s with really no more power.If youre going through the trouble anyway,go with the reputable 4.0 I6.

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2001, 09:01 AM
chasejeep7

This is true. Don't go to 2.8. My brother has the 2.5 and I've heard they are better than the 2.8. The 2.8 was only used for a couple of years, while the 2.5 has been used for 16 (and still used). In fact, the 2.5 won some off-road award in '87. Check this site out http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...j-engines.html and go to 2.8L section. Unless you are getting done for free, I would not do it.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
Old 03-17-2001, 07:06 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of points to remember here:

1) All things being equal, the 4.0 would definitely be the engine to go to. However, in 1984-86 XJ and MJ (Comanche) bodies, the firewall would have to be trimmed significantly for an in line 6 cylinder engine to fit. Jeep modified the body in 1987 for the 4.0 to fit in there.

2) I have a 1986 Cherokee with the 2.8L, TF904 and NP 207 transfer case, so yes, the 2.8 will mate to them....However, you might need to replace the 2.5L flex plate with one for the 2.8 because the 2.8 is an externally balanced engine.

3) My 2.8 has been very reliable over the 15 years that I've owned my Jeep. That being said, the carbureted 2.8 is more powerwise like a typical 4 cylinder engine. It definitely will give you more power/torque than the carbed 2.5 did and it is about equal in that respect to the TBI 2.5. It is true, early versions of the 2.8 had oil leak troubles; they featured two piece rope rear main seals and their crankshaft bearing journals were undersized. In late 1985, Cheverolet introduced the one piece main seals and larger journals. My advice would be to get a 2.8 that is 1986 or later.

4) The XJ 2.8 engines are all carbureted (probably GM didn't care to sell AMC the more powerful TBI engine; would you sell a more powerful version to your competitor??[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]); they have the Rochester 2SE or E2SE (California models) carbs. You could also swap in a 3.4L V-6 from a 93-95 Camaro but thse engines are fuel injected. To install any kind of fuel injection for the 3.4 or the 2.8, the XJ wiring would have to be modified and a electric fuel pump installed. You would get more power for sure but OTOH, the carbed 2.8 will fit right where the 2.5 was. I'm not sure if you can use the S-10 exhaust manifolds in the Jeep, though.

Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2001, 09:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Chris_MJ is an unknown quantity at this point

ChaseJeep7 is my brother. I have the 2.5. I can't believe you've had problems. Yes, they leak like sieves, but I can't talk an engine down that got me so many miles. I'm nearing 380, 'course it's been rebuilt after the 365.

Anyways, I must agree. I was going to upgrade to the 4.0, but time and money were not on my side. If you're looking for a great swap, I would suggest the 4.3 chevy engines. Those things are pretty tough. Heck, it's just a 350 minus two cylinders. The only drawback is a new tranny/t-case setup. An ideal job would be getting a post-91 MPI injected 2.5. You'd need a new computer for the engine, but it'd be sweet. More torque and HP but using the same mounts and tranny/t-case. Even a TBI from '87-'91 would be easier.

Whatever you do, listen to the people here. The 2.8 ain't so great. That 0.3 more doesn't mean that much more power than the 2.5.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)
Old 03-18-2001, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the great responses! I guess the other problem I failed to mention was the 2.5 I have is a 150 ci motor. I believe this motor was made by Renault and the other 2.5 that was availble that year was a 151 ci Pontiac design. I understand that the 151 ci motor was a decent motor, but will it bolt up to my Chrysler 904 tranny. I don't want a faster truck, just a dependable and cheap option. does anyone no if the 151 ci motor came in other vehicles besides Jeep products like the 2.8 Chevy motor?

Old 03-18-2001, 12:05 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2.5L engine that is offered in XJs and MJs is not a Renault engine. It was an AMC engine based on the 258 I-6. It first appeared in the Jeep line in the 1983 CJ models. The Jeep 4.0L is a 2.5 with 2 more cylinders added on. The only Renault engine ever offered in the XJ model was a 2.1 turbo diesel.

The GM 151 "Iron Duke" engine can be found in many '70s and '80s small to mid sized GM cars...it's only Jeep application was in the 1980-82 CJ models. I'm not familiar with what transmission was used in 151 CJs; that being said I think it was a manual....CJs did have the 904 but I think it was offered with the 258 6 cylinder.

IMHO, the least expensive option would be to put another 2.5L in the XJ.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2001, 05:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are looking for reliability I would not go for a 2.8. Also, don't look at the 4.3 because it won't bolt up to your tranny. It is a 90 deg engine based off the 350. The best option for both power and reliability would be a 3.4 out of a 93-95 camaro. This is what I am doing. I am even coverting from the carb to the multi-point fuel injection and distributerless ignition. I have the 3.4 sitting in the engine bay of my Jeep right now. Next I need to bolt up the tranny and hook up the electrical. If you want any info about the conversion, just ask.....

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement