Removing XJ Catalytic Converter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Removing XJ Catalytic Converter

Catalytic converter finally died on my XJ & I thought I'd just remove it completely. Mechanic advised against it saying it would screw up the computer... not sure if he was just trying to sell me a catalytic conv or it was true. Anybody have experience w/ this? Thanks for any advice!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2001, 02:20 PM
chasejeep7

Default Re: Removing XJ Catalytic Converter

My bro's '88 MJ has the stock cat.conv. on it. They don't really ever die, they just have no active metals in them to filter out the bad carbon compounds that supposedly destroy the ozone. You computer has nothing to do with anything from the exhaust on back from the engine. Your computer doesn't know jack about what passes through there. Tell your mechanic that your computer doesn't care about the ozone and would rather save his driver $175 to not have himself replaced.

Some mechanics try to sell you it to make money, but some are worried that you are an EPA guy trying to get the mechanics in trouble. The dude I went to twice to put on the exhaust just needs the wink and a smile and he leaves what has no holes on the truck.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2001, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say get a new mechanic... I'm certainly not a mechanic, but I know that a catalytic converter is not connected to any jeep computer

Old 02-11-2001, 06:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

piaa_nissan is on a distinguished road

Not sure what year your XJ is but on the newer models the cat has an o2 sensor after it. This tells the computer how to adjust itself based on the amount of pollutants leaving the cat. If your state has any kind of emmisions inspections you will automatically fail with no cat in place. The cat can also be damaged from the engine running rich or excessive oil consumption. They can even be damaged from a large impact (like hitting rocks on the trail) so they aren't totally indestructible.

<font color=green>If it ain't broke,let me drive it!</font color=green>
http://www.skyboom.com/Robison
Old 02-18-2001, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i 've cut a lot of them out .you put some straight pipe back in, and disconect the battery for 5 mins. so the computer can reset it's self, for the new air flow. happy jeepin nimph

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement