Brake fluid gone in days, no signs of leak. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Brake fluid gone in days, no signs of leak.

After my last weekend on the trail the brake pedal felt much lower and the brakes faded a lot. The fluid in both bowls of the master cylinder was gone totally in just a few days, I had checked it before the trip and it was full. Before that I never had to add fluid. The problem is I can see no visible sign of the leak, either can the technician. No stains on the ground, no visible signs on the lines. He says the rear brake shoes should be changed but it does not explain to me the loss of the fluid just in days. Would this be the master cylinder or any gasket? Any suggestion would be appreciated!
Wojtek

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2001, 02:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brake fluid gone in days, no signs of leak.

It might be the gasket on the lid of the reservoir; if so a cheap and easy fix.
Perhaps the lost fluid is leaking into the brake booster and the vacuum is sucking the fluid into the engine where it is being consumed by combustion. If that is the case, your brake booster will need replacing. Have you noticed a hissing sound when you step on the brakes? That's another indication of a bad booster. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the lid gasket is all right, I could see no stains on the reservoir walls. The idea about the fluid being sucked is new to me, but it seems it will not be easy to check.... Frankly the hissing sound from the booster is nothing new to me, it has always been caused by very strong pedal pressing, however the pedal was always high, brakes sharp, no fading. No brake problems until the sudden leak... Thanks Jim!
Wojtek

Old 02-06-2001, 11:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Andytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the carpet and floor mat near the brake pedal.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:06 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Chris_MJ is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be obvious, but did you check all your rotors and drums for moisture? Perhaps the line broke right at the bleeder and the excess sits in the inside of the rim of the wheel.

And I'm sure you've tried this, but refill it and just keep pumping it out. It's too weird that it a full master cylinder full of the Dot3 would just disappear. Maybe a friend could see leaks as you pump.

Check the mat, like Andytron suggests, but otherwise I'd have to side with xjy173 on the booster.

good luck

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)
Old 02-07-2001, 05:20 PM
scram

I dont think this was your problem but one time i was climbing a rock and wanted to hold at the top for a picture and then my brakes went and i rolled back down and then they worked and i couldnt believe it so i drove it home. The next day i saw dot 3 stains on the inside of my rear wheel and said ok i blew a wheel cylinder but the brakes worked fine and come to find out when i checked the wheel cylinder what had happened is i had fliped the seel on my brake cylinder under the extreme pressure and when the presure was gone the seel fliped back. I lost a lot of fluid when it fliped. SO maybe it fliped when u started wheeling and then washed off as the day went on. Just a suggestion good luck.. Scram

The moment you are born you start to die so play hard!!!!!
Old 02-08-2001, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all the tips! Iíll just have to stay alert, after another round of checking nothing had been found [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], I will have to wash all the mud and keep watching for all youíve suggested. Now brakes stay sharp again, the pedal thanks to new rear shoes is even higher than ever, everything seems to be ok. Really weird [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I will give it a try to press hard and to see if something happens. Rear right wheel has got some old stains all over from the inside of the axle, but the technician said this was because of the bad differential fluid retainer, probably the stains are caused by this fluid than. Got the new retainer, got fluid in the differential and the master cylinder bowls filled up, letís see what happens. Iíll let you know in case of interesting result. Thanks again!
Wojtek

Old 02-08-2001, 12:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Chris_MJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooohh -- if that is some of the differential's gear oil, you may want to get that oil seal in your axle fixed. My brother's CJ's oil seal popped and the whole rear drum was filled with gear oil. This can drain about half the 90W from the pumpkin and at the same time spoil your new brake shoes by coating them with oil.

The fact that there's oil on the shoes won't change pedal height, but it will sure make the braking power useless since the shoes are filled with oil. And you can tell by severe change in braking distance. Keep an eye on your diff. oil so you can prevent having to get another set of shoes!

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)
Old 02-08-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I agree. Maybe I did not explain myself well, the differential oil retainer was changed yesterday to prevent all this, diff fluid and brake fluid levels are ok, as well as the new silicon under the diff cover. So now I start to watch her closely...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks Chris_MJ!

Old 02-08-2001, 03:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

Woj...I forgot to mention a little test to see if the vacuum booster is good. Step on the brake pedal and start the engine; the pedal should go down a little further when the manifold vacuum picks up. Good luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement