2WD into 4WD conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 2WD into 4WD conversion

OK...It's probably gonna make you all laugh, but me Jeep is 2WD. I know some of you think I should be rather posting messages on pokemon forum instead of here, but I was totally not into Jeeps when I bought mine, and I didn't care if it was 2wd or 4wd. I just wanted to have one. Now I see that I made a major mistake.
So, I'm writing all this because I need an advise from you guys. I want to challange myself and convert my rig into 4wd truck. Now..where should I start from? What are the best recommended parts to use? Of course...is it possible to do that I should ask first.
I really wanna do some off-roading next season, but I'm affraid that with my current configuration I would only make a fool out of myself on the trail. Thanks for any advise. Mariusz.

'94 XJ (2wd!), 4.0 HO, Heckethorn/Rough Country 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFGoodrich All-Terrain, and big plans for my Jeep...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2000, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Andytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2WD into 4WD conversion

Well for starters you need the front axle of the same gearing, drivshaft, a tcase and maybe a differant trans cause the tailshafts are differant. Plus any wireing you need. Your 94 may have the non vacuum disconnect front axle by the way. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2000, 04:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

Might want to drag home a 4x4 XJ and pull the parts off of that so that you can have an example to look at, you need a t-case, front axles, drive shaft, and trans or atleast the end portion. You willl need the t-case mount and other stuff.
barrel roll

'95 YJ Totaled!

Currently looking for a 16 year old jeep chick with a jeep
Old 12-05-2000, 11:20 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your 2wd Cherokee is just as much a Jeep as any of our 4wd ones....don't feel bad, some of us have the 2.8L engine and we get around just fine....we just set the switch, turn the crank and she starts almost right up![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, if your XJ has a limited slip rear, it would do ok in light off road situations. When a 2wd to 4wd conversion is done, the transmission and transfer case are installed as a unit. This makes it a much simpler operation. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement