Back on the road for the first time in a long time. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well what can ya say. There are only so many things that can be done to an XJ, only so many things you can talk about, and eventually 99.99% has been said, combined with some of the peeps that used to hang here and would drive people away by saying things like "there is a search function, use it" instead of trying to be helpful, or would be out right unhelpful by giving poor or wrong advice, so that kept new people from wanting to get involved. I have seen it happen on other sites. You get some cranky A holes or keyboard rambo's who think because the read it on a web site somewhere, they and only they have the answers. Really kills the community aspect. There are a few of us still lurking around here though.

90 XJ 4.0 lift 4 1/2", 31 x 10 1/2 MT's
First piece of advice, free,
My opinion, free,
F'n with my family, YOUR LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andytron View Post
Nix, living in the rust belt as I do, seeing another pre-97 Cherokee on the road does not happen often anymore.
I live up in rustout North Dakota, and still drive mine. Of course all that 3/16 sheet metal I used to replace the floor on the driver side all the way back and the entire rear floor in the hatch area, and the 1/4 wall 2x3 box tubing I used to fix the rockers will still be around after the rest of it has rotted away.

My opinion, free,
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:10 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

And don't forget the changes in the forum that made some leave to other fora like jeepsunlimited. And I think Facebook messed up some fora really bad. People do no longer search for real info, they just post at FB.

Btw, that sometimes makes me cranky a bit. There's a ton of info, but people expect to be served the best way possible as if they pay for it. But I still like to help the really interested ones and am active on other fora too.

And Kraby, good to see you alive, but shouldn't you be asleep?

HJ

If in doubt, add a bit more

Jamboree '94 stock 4.0 AX15 8.25
Cherokee Pioneer '88 i6 2-door 5 speed mostly stock put asleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIX View Post
And Kraby, good to see you alive, but shouldn't you be asleep?
I work(ed) nights and that was the normal "evening hours" for me. I am laid off currently so now I tend to be awake at a more "normal for around here" time.

My opinion, free,
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Still going.

Installed radiator number four in my XJ after work the other night. The previous one had started leaking in the lower corner of the core.

One stock radiator, one GDI all metal three core, one replacement GDI plastic tanked three core and now another stock type replacement.

I think tomorrow is balljoints, hub bearings and front axle u-joints on my dad's '01.

ETA, did indeed do the balljoints, hub bearings and axle u-joints on my dads '01 today. No real surprises, I only had to use the air hammer to drive out one of the balljoints which is better than I expected. It didn't fix the clunk in his front end like he hoped, but I'm pretty confident it's the track arm as all the TRE's, shocks and anti-roll bar links are pretty new.

I'll get to it eventually.......

Last edited by Andytron; 01-22-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:32 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

That's funny, I had to replace the blower motor and the master clutch cilinder this weekend. The cilinder leaked into the fusebox (I call this a design blunder) and the blowermotor sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Might be a bearing as also didn't spin freely.

The '94 is still going, but I think I need to grease the locks and window mechanisms, the antenna doesn't go in and out anymore (it's in now and I can dream the GF's Adele CD now...) and I seem te have some sort of shortwire to the horn. It works, but I need to take out the fuse to prevent the battery from draining overnight. Hope it's only the relais, could be the ring in the steeringwheel, but it will probably take some trail and error and measuring before it's ok again.

HJ

If in doubt, add a bit more

Jamboree '94 stock 4.0 AX15 8.25
Cherokee Pioneer '88 i6 2-door 5 speed mostly stock put asleep
post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I see the forum has changed looks again. Hmm.....

Anyway last weekend this weekend I did front pads, rotors and cleaned some of the rust out of the caliper guide pin holes so they can actually float again instead of being stuck and making the pads wear funny. Also decided to finally chase down the my lack of parking lights in the front for the last number of years. One new parking light socket (old one literally disintegrated from rust), a new bulb, a handful of bullet connectors and some heat shrink and all my front lighting works again. It might actually be brighter now too. The wiring harness connector that would be under the stock airbox had become so rotten I had to cut it out and bypass it. I had two, maybe three broken wires and the rest were really rotten at the terminals as well. Also cleaned my K&N filter because I have no earthly idea when the last time I did that was. Cleaned my idle stepper motor too as it was getting a bit lazy during cold starts. Rotated the tires too.

Found some parking brake cable hanger springs I forgot I had stashed so I may install those tomorrow after work as the old ones rusted away.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing all the TRE's in the front end again (all the dust boots have failed and fallen off) along with the front sway bar links. Time will tell....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode