Off Roading Forums banner

New Jeep

8K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  NIX 
#1 ·
I had to discard of the old loyal faded black '88 XJ. It hurt a bit, but it had too many little pricy issues lately and it was loosing power, it leaked oil, the beam for the hitch turned out te be severely cracked on one side (we tow a horse trailer) and the BA10tranny and D35 rear were prone to explode, considering the wining sound they were making for some time, now. But the main reason of getting rid of it was the GF didn't trust the Jeep no longer.(Since the sprung rad of only 6 years old!)

So we could have a good deal (I hope) on a first owner '94 Jamboree with almost all options (functioning!) and the better 8.25 rear. The tranny is of course an AX15 and thisone had no hitch, so no really previous abuse. It only had 178.000 km's (111.000 miles)that could be checked. The radiator is starting to leak,so I got a new one with it including the traders discount.

So I will replace the rad andput the hitch receiver on this weekend and thenit's as we like it.

It's not the newest, It's not even very special or spectatculair but it's a good replacement for what we had. I'll post pics as soon as I have them, as it was a bit rainy, yesterday.

#2 ·
Coolness NIX, glad to hear you got an upgrade, sucks when you can't trust your old reliable anymore. I am still plugging away in my 90, although I have relageted it to more winter only use as I just enjoy driving the Dart way way more in the summer.

#3 ·
Hey Kraby, Good to see you're still alive and the same with Dorfs and Fred!

Well, I took a look at the rad today and as I removed the filterbox to have good acces and space I saw a cracked exhaust manifold. No surprise, no big deal, but it will take a day to take it out and weld it. I saw I need a special 1/2" wrench for this tempsensor to bleed the cooling system as on thisone the connetor is a plastic thingy that's rather high. The pressure line from the powersteering is rusted quite badly, so when busy there and having everything else removed, I will replace thatone also. This is a dealer only serviced car. The top of the fan shroud is missing. They just broke it off to have quick and easy acces to replace fanclutch. The fan sucks fals air now instead of only through the rad. I understand the temp rising when driving in the city. Good deal!

At least the hitch is on now. I had to remove the rear bumber to get acces to the right frame rail, because I had to put a threaded strip in. Only the holes were there. Left it had tow eye, so threads were allready present at that side. Today I checked lights on the trailer and no smell of melted insulation, so that's alright, now.

Oh, I forgot to take pics. Well, it's a dark green Jamboree. Nothing special.

#4 · (Edited)
Well, here's some pics.

When buying it, I saw the fanshroud was broken en the rad leaking. So i got a new rad with it. When installing it, I saw the exhaust manifold was broken. So I took it out to weld it. Because it was a pipe that broke loos from the collector, I had to weld all around the other pipe, as I couldnt get in between them (unlike the crack). Just hope it won't crack again.

But speaking of cracks, there has been a recall 97V069000. Of course my vehicle was never inspected, modified or repaired. Too bad I didn't see it when buying, it would at least have made a few 100's difference:

This last one means I need to remove the steering box. Very nice as the pitman arm is quite attached to the shaft. I will work on that tonight.

I made slots in the cracks and welded the easy accessable ones. I welded the double plate at the right together and I plan to make some strips for reinforcement. Now I just need to get that pittman arm loose.

So much for the dealer only maintained Cherokee.

At least I have some qualitytime extra with the GF when taking her to her job and picking her up. AND I'm still impressing her with my mechanical skills and making her Jeep safe. But I would rather see this Jeep on the road again instead of on the driveway with only 3 wheels.

#5 · (Edited)
2 Years ago I welded in some new sheet metal in the front floor:

I used some 1.5mm sheet and fixed the left rear tailgate hinge that was installed wrong and leaked.

I kind of forgot to take care of the rear part of the floor, so I was punished last test with a see through floor and even a broken rear spring. The rear eye had lost the half of it and I never noticed. I already released the the rear bolt, on the front one I broke my big 21mm spanner, so I started oiling and heating the bolt now I have acces from above anyway. I'll have a friend with an airtool help me out.

The work so far:

I'll keep you all posted and I apologize for not posting so long. :D

#6 · (Edited)
More pics of the rear repair. I did this some months ago and forgot this forum still existed.

Bumpstops. Of cousre the (idiot long) bolts broke so had to weld them loose from above as the bottom was out anyway:

The sill turned out to be ventilated:

Glad that rather well fitting replacement is available:

After this work it passed the safety test without problems! (And the GF thinks I'm a hero!)

#7 ·
Forgot this forum existed? How dare you! LOL. I'm not much better mate. I got to playing around with other toys (my Dart, bought a 73 Opel GT, and bought a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour during the summer of 2013) so I have neglected my jeep for a very long time, Maybe some day I will tinker with it again, but for now it's relegated to just getting me 2 and from work in the harsh winter months. To many pokers in the fire otherwise, for now. :(

#8 ·
Hey Kraby, good to see you also still exist!

I had to fix the Jeep, but as it was in wintertime I suspended the registration for some months and bought some in between wheels for tyhe GF and when the Jeep was Ok again, I sold the in between vehicle to her sister. I even had to have that one tested, so she had a good deal with it. And I realised that I beter had the jeep fixed instead of some cheap commuter car. BTW, the ceiling upholstery is still missing and since the antenna no longer wishes to come out no radio...

Beside that, there's still the horses, the ceremonial army horseriding (even including a royal salute to our king), the tiny motorcycles, the house, work, the summer house in Sweden and still the same GF for so many years now.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

#10 ·
And the annual test was passed another time. All I did was loosen the rear breakes, replace a light bulb from the liscense plate and replace the muffler. I had to use some tubing from the old one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.