Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Stranger

jlscheele is on a distinguished road
Default Willys Wagon brakes

Hi,
Just joined and this is my first posting. Great Forum!!

How do I remove the rear brake drums on a Willys wagon axle? I don't know the the year since it's a Frankinstien truck. It's a 1962 Ford econoline with Willys running gear.
Thanks for any help in advance.
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Addict

stump runner is on a distinguished road

most drum nrakes have a slot in the dust shield that you can back off the adjuster star wheels. if the shoes are grooved the drums wont come off untill the adjusters are backed way off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

Willys! Rare now.

Lockheed Brakes - a lost art.

Use the 2 cams on the back of the backing plate to back the shoes off - the regular adjusters.

If you see a big nut in the center of the drum, remove the cotter pin, then the nut, then the washer underneath. The threaded thing sticking out is the tapered axle. Remove and clean the axle key.

Then you'll need a puller - a big one that pulls on the studs and pushes on the axle end. Make sure you put it on even and tight. Then pull it off.

The drum will be stuck on the hub. The studs hold it on.

When putting it back on, clean and lube the tapered parts - axle and hub. DO NOT PUT THE HUB BACK ON WITH THE KEY IN PLACE. Slip the hub on over the axle all the way to seat it - make sure it's on all the way.

THEN, after the hub's on, line up the keyways in the axle and hub and slip the key in. Make sure you have the cut off corner on the key toward the center of the axle (away from you) and and pointing toward the axle, not the hub.

Putting it back together wrong you can lose a wheel or at least do lots of damage.

They never were decent brakes even when new. If you replace the linings, ask for the cheapie linings - not the "good" ones.
The so called "good ones" or "lifetime" are way to hard - they won't stop very well. The cheapies are soft, meant to wear fast - but they stop!

What are brakes for anyway?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Stranger

jlscheele is on a distinguished road

Guys,
Thanks for the detailed procedure. I need to replace the studs on the LH side because I busted them off because I would have never thought they would be LH thread DUH!!

Here is a picture of it.
John

Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Way Outta Control

Kool!

The old Willys wagons were often used for putting another body on it. I even put a 58 'Vette body on one.
Old '49-50's era Jeepsters were a popular swap.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Stranger

Willys.Wagon is on a distinguished road
Default More Willys Brake Help

Hello,

I have a 1960 Willys Wagon and I am having a HECK of a time removing the rear brake drum. I've used a slide hammer, a big puller (broke one), and even applied heat. It won't come off.

So, I searched and saw that below you mentioned to remove the axle key before removing the hub. How do you do that? I can't seem to get it out by wedging screwdrivers and small chisels along side it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated... I'm highly frustrated.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Way Outta Control

You won't get it that way. Soak it in PB Blaster overnight. Then try a STRONG magnet while you tap tap tap on the hub. It may jiggle out.

If it doesn't come off, use the correct axle puller and pull it off. Pull on the studs, not the drum.

If you are lucky, it'll come off with the hub.

Check closely once it's off - make sure it hasn't cracked or swelled the hub inside by the key. If it has, you need a new hub. If you don't replace it you could lose the wheel later on.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Stranger

Willys.Wagon is on a distinguished road
Default Homemade puller?

Thanks much for the reply!!

What is the correct puller and where is the best place to find one?

Since I have a big puller and am on a budget, would it work if I took a thick piece of stock plate, cut the appropriate holes in it for the lugs, fastened it to the hub with the lug nuts, and then pulled on that plate with the big puller? The force would then be in the appropriate place...

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Way Outta Control

As you suggested - probably.

Older rental yards have them. Keep your eyes open at garage sales too.

or you can buy one new - about $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement