exterior wood grain decals ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Stranger

dlh9350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exterior wood grain decals ?????

Just wondering if anyone new of where to get a replacment wood grain decal kit for an 87 cherokee wagoneer edition???
would like to paint it but some of the fake wood decal is looking rough also...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

BFA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: exterior wood grain decals ?????

Is it the "wood" in the middle part or the "wood" on the moldings? I had my Cherokee repainted and peeled off the "wood" off the molding and they painted over them. I kept the "wood" in the middle because they said that it pretty much fused to the body. Looks good.

Hope this helps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Stranger

Im talking about the fake wood decal in the middle. Its an 87 wagoneer xj. My trim has already had the wood removed from it. I would like to paint the whole thing but im kind of screwed because of the wood trim pakage. Im not a big fan of it but if I just do away with it Ill still have the two moldings and that I think would look stupid. I could remove the moldings and fill all the holes but thats a lot of work when the body is in pretty good shape. So I guess Im am going to keep the wood trim pakage but the wood decal is damaged in a couple of spots and Id hate to paint the thing and have some crapy looking decals in the middle. Any suggestions????
Old 02-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Novice

gregthecarguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard these stripe wheels work good, suggested to me by a Sign shop that does large auto decals, you use it on a die grinder or maybe a good drill, they say it takes off the stripe without hurting the paint below, might give it a try.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001...ler/output_html
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Addict

Fletch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you realy want to keep the wood, there was a post on the full size board with a link to a supplier, but it's been a couple of years since I read it. You'll have to use the search. Are you sure there are holes under the trim? Mine has two sided tape holding them on.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Journeyman

BFA is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
Im talking about the fake wood decal in the middle. Its an 87 wagoneer xj. My trim has already had the wood removed from it. I would like to paint the whole thing but im kind of screwed because of the wood trim pakage. Im not a big fan of it but if I just do away with it Ill still have the two moldings and that I think would look stupid. I could remove the moldings and fill all the holes but thats a lot of work when the body is in pretty good shape. So I guess Im am going to keep the wood trim pakage but the wood decal is damaged in a couple of spots and Id hate to paint the thing and have some crapy looking decals in the middle. Any suggestions????

[/ QUOTE ]

You had the fake wood removed from where?

You can peel the fake wood off the moldings, that's what I did and it didn't take long. Then, they can be painted and it looks good. I'll try to post of pic of my Jeep with this done. Probably get some heat on it if it doesn't peel easily.

If you wood is damaged in the middle, between the moldings, then that's a different issue. It wouldn't make sense to paint everything else and have it look like crap in the middle, like you said. If the middle is anything like the Cherokee's with the Woody, then it's pretty much fused with the body and difficult to take off. Might have to do some serious body work to get it ready to paint. I would call a body shop and ask them about it.

Good luck. I was going to get rid of the wood as well, but since the middle part was in good shape and just the moldings weren't, and the shop recommended just painting over the moldings after peeling the old wood off, I went with that, and I think it looks better.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Stranger

Yes I am talking about the wood in the middle, between the moldings. I was just wondering if anyone has actually tried to remove these?? And to clear up any confusion the vehicle I have is a 1987 wagoneer XJ. Same body as the cherokee I believe just different headlights and grill and the wood pakage on the exterior we are talking about. Thanks..
Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Addict

Fletch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was to take it off my rig, I would buy/barrow/rent a heat gun, get some 3M automotive adhesive remover, A hard Bondo sqeege and go to town on it. Probably take a day to get it done right. If you park it in the hot sun it will be less work with the heat gun.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Stranger

Yea thats the route I was thinking about taking. It doesnt seem to be on there that good now but I think I will wait untill this summer. It gets nice and hot down here in North Carolina.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

xjy173 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame the woodgrain is in bad shape. Wagoneer XJs are relatively rare. Ever look around to find anybody who could restore the woodgrain?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(Edited for spelling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.