1988 jeep cherokee ? about fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
coty

Default 1988 jeep cherokee ? about fuel pump

Ok guys I have pondered on this all weekend and finally I just gave up and turned on the computer to maybe find some answers to my questions. Ok here is the story, I recently purchased a 1988 jeep cherokee. Everything had been fine and dandy with it until yesterday when I went out to start it and nothing, It will crank over but makes no attemp to fire up. I rode it the night before and it worked like a dream, But now it just cranks and cranks. and it just seems like it is getting no fuel. The motor in this jeep is a straight six fuel injected early 1990's model motor. I listend for the fuel pump to make a noise when i turned the key over, and I couldnt hear anything. But I have also herd that the fuel pump on cherokees dont realy make a noticeable sound? is thatt true? I poured some gas in the air filter and it started and ran until that gas was used up.The tank itself has about a full tank of fuel in it.

My main question is what should i do? and what does everyone think is wrong with it. remeber the jeep worked fine when I cut it off the day before. and It was very cold out when i tried to start it, if that means anything, wich i tried again to day to start it and the same results.

any helpful comments will be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 1988 jeep cherokee ? about fuel pump

That is usually how the fuel pumps go....work one min, and not the next. I assume you have confirmed that your not out of gas?

And you are right, you don't really hear the pump...unless your right down by the tank. Lay on the ground and have someone turn the key on....you will hear it run for about 2 seconds and then stop...it will not spin again until the computer sees the crank signal.

If the pump is not running, start checking wires. Use a meter to measure the voltage going to the pump...you could have a bad fuel pump relay.

BTW...the fuel down the intake is a good basic troubleshooting technique to determine if the issue is fuel or spark.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 PM
coty

appreciate the help. anymore suggestions i am up for trying anything. would you guys recomend buying a new one or getting one that is used that cliams to work. also were is the cheapest place i can get a fuel pump online,. Not 100% sure thats the problem yet, but its been so cold out i havent gotten a chance to troubleshoot anymore.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

NIX is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

Download the '88 FSM.

Before trying a new pump, first short the ballast resistor. its the ceramic thing at the drivers' side wheel well, next to the airfilter with 2 orange wires. It's not bad to connect those 2 wires for a short period of time. if everything works fine, you just need a new ballast resitor.

The relay DDog mentioned would also be my try before swapping a pump.

Check the pressure regulators vac hose. No cracks? Other lines Ok and not loose or cracked?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

stump_breaker is an unknown quantity at this point

A simple fuel pump test is to turn the key on, take a rubber mallet and whop the tank a couple of times. If the Jeep starts then it's the pump. Sometime when a pump is just starting to go out, a little jarring will put life in it one more time.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Used pump? Never....Ok..so it works when you put it in....but it's used....which means it will go out much sooner than a new one....if your doing it to just sell the jeep...kinda ok....but I personally don't do used in cases like this.

You would be better off spending the money on a volt meter to confirm that voltage is or is not getting to the pump.

BTW...the DVM will pay for it's self very quickly.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
grandconstructor

I no pro mechanic but to check the fuel pump I would disconnect the fuel line coming from the tank and turn the engine over. If it doesnt squirt fuel its the fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.