Grand Cherokee vs Cherokee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Addict

wsmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grand Cherokee vs Cherokee

Other than body style and cosmetic differences what are the differences between a Grand Cherokee and A plain Cherokee. Any problem areas I should look for when looking at one to purchase? Looking 1998 - ????. I want the straight 6 with automatic, ps, pb, air. Anything else totally optional. Oh, also needs to be part time 4 wheel drive.

Thanks
Bill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Journeyman

85irocz-28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grand Cherokee vs Cherokee

As far as suspension goes, the front ends are similar. The rear is different though. The Cherokee has rear leaf springs. The GC has four wheel coils.

If you are trying to decide on one of them, I would go for looks. Which one do you like better? They are both great vehicles. The Cherokee might have less interior electronic problems than the Grand.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Old Hand

Fred j Hemer is an unknown quantity at this point

If do not have kids to pack around and don't mind being in a little less roomy truck the cherokee is a better unit in my eyes Much less complicated to work on And also I beleive the cherokee NEVER came with full time only for wheel drive Another bonus!I have owned both and would rather have the cherokee than the grand Ive have a grand now and would rather be driving a XJ.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Addict

Fletch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Cherokee is also less expensive to build up than the GC.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have both and appreciate both. Essentially, the GC is the Cherokee's more refined big brother. The GC offers a much quieter, smoother ride and better brakes than the Cherokee. The difference in size between the two is not so great in the passenger compartment but definitely noticeable in the cargo area (rear). I believe the tow capacity of the I6, 4L GC is slightly greater than that of a simlarly equipped XJ and I will compare the OMs of the to to be sure.

The Grand Cherokee, for all of its "refinement" is a more substantial vehicle in terms of components, than its smaller sibling. The unit frame members are wider, and much of the steering components are heavier than those on the XJ.
Earlier GCs did have their share of auto tranny and electrical probs and the V8s are not as forgiving of owner neglect as the inline 6 cyl. By 00' the probs with the tranny and electrical system had been ironed out. Word of caution if you are considering an 04 or newer model with the dual zone automatic climate control- don't. The blend doors fail regularly and in so doing leave you with either no AC or no heat. Repair requires removal of the dash which is costly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement