Interior lights stuck on, is there a relay ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Journeyman

mjl91xj95xj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interior lights stuck on, is there a relay ?

Got home from work last night, noticed my interior lights were stuck on. Its not the dimmer on the headlamp knob. And I pulled all of the door and tailgate switches and disconnected to break the circuit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Still on.

My wiring diagram in my haynes manual doesn't show a relay, but it seems like one may be kicked and fried. The reason I say that is that they came on when I opened the door, but apparently never went off. Unless my headlight switch cooked, but it doesn't seem like that. The headlamps work fine and the switch is only a year old. I will chase wires when I get home tonight, but pulling the fuse to kick the lights off is a pain in the rain and my radio doesn't work with it pulled. I hope its just a relay and not a short somewhere.

Any ideas??

Thanks, Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

stump_breaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interior lights stuck on, is there a relay ?

Does your XJ have the rear light (at the hatch) that you can press when the hatch is open to give you a "cargo" type light? If so, you might see if it's on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Journeyman

Nope. I have a rear cargo light, but not a seperate switch. I've seen the type of setup that you are referring to, sort of like a map light for the cargo area.

My dome, courtesy and cargo lamps all stay on. I may end up pulling the headlight switch/ dimmer out to trace the wires. I'm convinced there is a relay, but I have no clue where.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Addict

tincan is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you pull the dash stuff,,,at the rear cargo light disconect the wires and see if that solves the problem...then if it does---- I found a mercury switch in my gate,,yours may be broken or or or or....g/luck
Old 08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Journeyman

I'm not quite sure what you mean by mercury switch. I have disconnected the wire at the tailgate latch that, I believe, causes the lights to come on when the gate is open.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

krabysniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Mercury switch he refers to is like the little glass bubble with wires at both ends and the liquid silver stuff (mercury)inside, that you find in your average home thermostat controls. It's inside the hatch and is what completes the circuit when you open the hatch thus turning on the lights.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I say that is that they came on when I opened the door, but apparently never went off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the problem child right here. The door you opened and the light that never went off.
The dome works off a switched ground. You may have to pull the wire OFF the switch to check it for shorting to ground. This will make your light work all the time. Any place the dome wire (bare) touches the body is a potential close for the circuit, or any switch that does not open will do the same thing.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Journeyman

I did disconnect that switch from the connector, but I didn't pull it out to see if the wire was rubbed through.

Another point for diagnosing the problem, just the lights are on, the key buzzer/door ajar buzzer still works correctly, and responds to the door switch.

I'm still pulling the fuse for now, I haven't had the time to trace anything yet.

This is kindof like when my TA got stolen. I drove around using a screwdriver to start it for 3 months until I had the time to switch out my steering column.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

NIX is an unknown quantity at this point

The drivers' door switch is a double one. 1 ground for the buzzer, 1 for the lights. Any ground wire that touches the ground because of a short, caused by a broken switch or wire or so can leave these lights on. It doesnt matter whih one, because it's a kind of ground harness that makes the lights go on. So you have to find out if any switch is broken or a wire slipped off a contact. I'm not aware of any relay. The interior light in mine is a direct sytem. Have fun finding out and let us know when you solved it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.