Clunking popping sound when turning right or left - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Apprentice

mudhound32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clunking popping sound when turning right or left

Well I started noticing a clunking/popping noise while steering out of the driveway the other day and seems to be getting worse by the day. It almost sounds like rocks in a hubcap. Its an 89 XJ with 225,000 miles. The problem is at its worst at low speed turns (right or left) or turning from a stop and seems to be coming from the passengers side. All is fine when driving straight at any speed. About a year and a half ago I replaced the front hub with a Nappa hub and the u-joint. Anyway when I got home tonight I slid under the Jeep and checked the front axel joints, tie rod, etc, and all seems to be tight. I'm pritty sure its not stuck in 4-wheel drive, but when I make slow sharp turns it almost feels like its binding a little while it clunks, like its in part time 4wd but not as bad as it it were engaged on dry pavement.

Any advise is always appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Clunking popping sound when turning right or l

It does sound like the u-joint....
Did you replace both sides? A u-joint can feel tight, but bind up when it is flexed. Best way to tell is to jack up one side and turn the wheel all the way to one side. Rotate your tire and see if you feel or hear any thing. Repeat for the other side.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

JSSuper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clunking popping sound when turning right or left

Maybe your front axle disconnect is semi engaged and its causing that? I'm thinking its partially engaged enough that its fine driving strait. Then when you turn its binding and popping out under the extra stress... It could be going out, or just needs to be services and lubed so it will function properly. I didn't have my old XJ's long enough to have a problem with that system, and my '97 doesn't have it so I'm not too familiar with it. I have heard in here from time to time that these guys will disassemble it and grease the splines etc.

If it wasn't binding a little I'd say it was a hub or wheel bearing. I've had them go bad before (on other vehicle) and it popped and grinds etc, but it didn't bind up, though I didn't push it long enough to sieze and bind.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Apprentice

mudhound32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the informaiton! I have a feeling it may be the hub/u-joint. I only replaced the passenger side when I did the fix since one of the caps on that side was blown out. I'm going to do the jack up test DDawg suggested and let you know the results. I won't rule out JSSuper's suggestion either. I suppose I should check the diff fluid as well for shavings etc..I have a feeling I'm going to be very glad I loaded up anti sieze on the shaft and the hub in the event I have to go back in. Although not looking forward to the driver side. Will let you know what I find in the next few days.

-Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Ball joints will pop if they are bad. Jack it up and pull and push on the top of the tire. If you can feel movement then there's a bad ball joint.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

NIX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a cluck steering, when the tracbar joint was worn.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Clunking popping sound when turning right or l

Trackbar issues usually show up when you just turn the wheel....you don't have to be rolling....
But if it makes noise as your moving....like the "gravel in the hubcap" description....which is actually very close to the sound bad u-joints or bearings make...then you are pretty well assured it's there....
Old 03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

krabysniper is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard in here from time to time that these guys will disassemble it and grease the splines etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhh, you wanna try to explain what you are talking about? The splines you refer to along with the engagement collar are bathed in diferential fluid, why would you put grease on something that is already lubricated?
Sounds like the bearing in the hub or the axle u-joint.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:29 AM

FirstJeepOfMany is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say almost definitely that you've got a bad ball joint. I had one go out about a week ago, and the easiest way to tell, is like BigNorm said [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]. Put it on a lift and push on the tire from the inside or outside. If it moves, your ball joint is bad. It will make what sounds like a whistling tune, almost like theres a bird in your tire, when you're going slow if it isn't too bad, and when you go slow and make tight turns it really clunks around and sounds like something is going to fall off. good luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BigNorm is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard in here from time to time that these guys will disassemble it and grease the splines etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhh, you wanna try to explain what you are talking about? The splines you refer to along with the engagement collar are bathed in diferential fluid, why would you put grease on something that is already lubricated?
Sounds like the bearing in the hub or the axle u-joint.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he meant the driveline. :All Good:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.