2000 jeep cherokee pros and cons...looking to buy. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 2000 jeep cherokee pros and cons...looking to buy.

Hello

The wife and I are looking into getting a 2000 jeep cherokee sport 4X4, automatic, 4.0. It has 30,000 original miles, is owned by an elderly couple, she no longer uses it nor does here husband, and it just sits in their garage(hard to believe but its true), they purchased it brand new and want $8000 for it, and it is clean, even under the hood, I am sure they never even cleaned the vehicle and it still appears as it would in 2000 sitting on the car lot. My first thought was I bet they never changed the oil but sure enough, they have regularly. Does that sound like a fair price, as it does to me?

I have never owned or know anyone that owned a jeep vehicle, looking for pro's and con's of these suv's. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2004, 01:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2000 jeep cherokee pros and cons...looking to buy.

Sounds good to me.
See my recent post on XJ info.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh...err... this XJ isn't near me is it?
Would asking for pix and an address be rude?
Old 09-05-2004, 02:44 PM

stump_breaker is an unknown quantity at this point

You are getting hosed!! I can't believe she's trying to screw you like that!! Give me her name, number and address so I can go buy........oops, I mean go BY and tell her off.

All pros, very few cons and that's a great price. Go for it...... [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Funny fellas...so I take it these things are pretty reliable? The comment "few cons" was made..meaning there are some, what would they be? What kinda mpg do these usually get? I read a few reviews and seems some claimed poor mpg others great, didn't state specific mpg figures, so I suppose the comments could have been based on personal perspective more than actual drastic variances in the economy of the <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217917);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217917);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217917);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217917);">vehicle</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr>.

Raduckal

I have checked out that thread and its full of information thats for sure. I will tell you this much, being in owensboro, this <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84758);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84758);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84758);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84758);">suv</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> sits about 55 miles east of lexington. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thats all I am saying. I will take a pix if and when we get it...haha.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:31 PM

Pros are simple - powerful, quick, nimble, reliable, tough, low maintainence, easy to mod, easy to get parts, very cost effective, cheap insurance (for me anyway), average tow capacity with the proper equipment, etc., etc. My 2KXJ has 104+ and still going STRONG. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
MY biggest con is the smallish-feeling interior in the four door (I came from a 2 door). I can't get the seat back far enough for me and with it back as far as it goes and laying back a little, it leaves no room in the back seat for anyone else. Long legs are no good in these things as long trips will get uncomfortable really quick although with the cruise set you can re-adjust pretty easily. To me the rear of a <nobr>Jeep</nobr> is like the rear of a Camaro - for really small kids and just throwing stuff back there. Good thing about it is being that close to the back seat it's easy to just reach back and smack 'em when they get out of line. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] Of couse I'm larger than your average bear. I also drive an Avalanche so the difference in room should be obvious.
MPG will vary even with a bone stock rig. The 4.0 is a thirsty little engine if you let it drink. Keep a tennis ball under the skinny pedal and you could see 22-23 hwy mpg (my wife can get almost 400 miles to an 18 gallon tank). If you drive it like you stole it you had better buy stock in Exxon.
Plain and simple the stock Cher<nobr>okee is </nobr>one heck-uv-a vehi<nobr>cle. N</nobr>ot quite an SUV <nobr>but</nobr> way more than a grocery getter.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well for the past seven years we have driven standard cab trucks so hopefully the medium size suv will have an open feeling to us for a while. I did notice that it felt a little tight sitting in the front buckets. I really don't care though, it'll be her suv.

Something else that caught my attention, you used the phrase easy to mod.

What mods can be easily done and do they actually work? I have an inline 6 ford with speed density and spent a few dollars to realize that simple bolt on's were pointless. I suspect the newer jeep inine uses some sort of mass air set up, correct? Is clifford performance the only company that offers engine upgrades for the jeep? Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 05:23 PM

Other than your basic bolt ons which will give you about half the increase they advertise and really not worth the money in my opinion, you really wont get power mods without stroking the engine and that is costly. I was really reffering to suspension and gearing mods. Do a google search and you will find these everywhere for the XJ. They're not as common as the TJ's but we are catching up real fast!

The most common mods are - lift, tires, wheels, gears or axle swap, lockers and external accessories.

Search for anything you want in this forum and you will find just about every mod that can be done on a Cherokee.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see...

Yeah I am already planning, if we get it of course, to install a 3 inch spring and add a leaf kit, I was shocked at how low that thing sit, struck me as odd, so first thing I did was look inside for a 4X4 shifter, I was shocked when I saw it. Any recomendations as to who I should get the coil and add a leaf kit from? I have seen a 3.5" version somewhere so I may go with that. thanks
Old 09-11-2004, 04:45 PM
michiganmaverick

It's a steal, watch out for the cops. I had a 2000 sport 4.0. It had 163,000 miles on it when it got totaled. If you keep the oil and fluids changed it will last a long time. I got about 20mpg average, and I have a heavy foot. Unless you are planning to go out stump jumping in the woods I wouldn't put the lift kit on. I would however put on an ARB Bull Bar on the front. I had one on when I got totaled between two semi's and I swear that it saved me from getting injured. The Bull Bar didn't even move back far enough to do any damage to the radiator. Very easy to install. Cost approx. $700-$800. Go to www.arbusa.com and check it out. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement