CLUNK AFTER STOPPING - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

1989XJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CLUNK AFTER STOPPING

I have had this problem for awhile, After I come to a complete stop I feel and hear a clunk from the rear of my XJ. Has anyone had this problem? if so what was done to fix it.

Thanks.... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

krabysniper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CLUNK AFTER STOPPING

Sounds like maybe a bushing. Maybe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Addict

Fletch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does it too. I figured it was axle wrap due to the stupid 3in. blocks. [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2004, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That noise has been atributed to everything from the brakes to the diff. We have a radio show here in MD on the weekends hosted by mechanic Pat Goss (sp?). He says the clunk is the sound of your slip yoke. He claims shaft length changes during braking due to nose dive. He says regular greasing of your slip yoke will fix it. I tried it and it worked.... See what you guys think.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 PM
riehl8

i agree, could be anything from the t-case to the axles and anything in between....

have you tried to put the rear up on blocks and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from....

try to have someone turn the rear wheels back and forth to see if the noise is driveline or axle related,, at least then you can find the slippage. is it one wheel or both is it only when you turn the driveline or the axle or both??? if its not there, then a bearing or bushing??? check your axles for play??

how's the diff? has it been inspected lately for wear? couldn't hurt to change the diff fluid while your in there.

can you turn the driveline without the diff engaging within a 1/4 turn?? how's the spider teeth in the diff??

hopefully this 'ill help w/ narrowing it down....

riehl8
Old 01-26-2004, 04:08 PM
riehl8

by the way, is it an auto or a stick??? possibly a tranny issue if its an auto.... my mom's car, a 92 chrysler, had two auto's replaced in it in the last 5 years, a bad design and known problem with chrysler... HUGE clunking sound slowing down from 10- 0 mph. also had an occasional clunk declerating between 2nd and 1st gear.. i know------- way off the subject, but you never know..

hey, you should update your info for your jeep... it would help people help you...

riehl8

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Journeyman

1989XJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the best thing is to take off the gas cap and drive a new Jeep under it... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input, I will check it over this weekend.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:02 PM
riehl8

that's the best fix i've ever heard of...

lol

riehl8

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 12:00 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

tazman85305 is an unknown quantity at this point

It works!!!!

I pulled the gas cap off my '87 XJ and drove a '99 XJ under it.
No more leaky [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]Peugot tranny.........NICE!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

nealsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

LMAO.... i wish i had yalls problems...paying bills at my age is retarded hard....and i have to work to keep the Jeep full of gas rather than just buy a new one or build 7-10 lifts with 35-40 inch tires [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i know i'm young and i'll get out of college someday and i'll have my chance but i'm tired of my oil spot lol

i wanna win the lottery! lol

excuse my poor mans rant

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement