Flex fan vs. Stock Clutch fan? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 06:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

stump_breaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flex fan vs. Stock Clutch fan?

Ok, I learned my lesson about electric fans but has anyone used a flex fan over the stock clutch fan? Is it a decent upgrade that pulls enough air?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

krabysniper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flex fan vs. Stock Clutch fan?

Why??? A good working stock clutch fan is FAR SUPERIOR to any other type of aftermarket fan you could blow cash on. You have much better things to spend your hard earned dough on than that, you know - suspension parts, tires, extracation tools, tunes, etc., etc., etc. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

JeepSteve92xj is an unknown quantity at this point

Over on an A/C board, they seem to recoment staying away from the flex fan and sticking with the stock unit, or even upgrade to a newer stock unit with more blades (I think 96+ has a better electric fan on the XJs with a bunch more blades than the standard 5(?) blade electric (was that Kingsize that pointed this out? Sorry I forgot who made the statement).
I do not know about any change in the mechanical fan.
ALSO! make sure the fan clutch is good - seems this is a normal problem with AC that should be working otherwise - makes sense that high engine temp could also be related.

Steve
Old 07-31-2003, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Compare CFM's @ RPMs. Short answer- go with stock. If you are not runnin a highly specialized off-road rig like some of the guys on this board- you don't need to monkey with the cooling system. If it is not working properly-find out why, FIRST!! Then decide upon a fix. After all at one time it did WORK JUST FINE. I hear alot from folks, "add a 3 core" or convert to this or go electric- but most of those folks don't ask if your rig is a trail only or DD. That notwithstanding, none of that money spent will fix a shot water pump and if left unrepaired, that water pump will fry that brand new 3 core just as fast as the old stocker... Don't forget, newer engines can run too cool. In a DD, fuel economy and emissions will suffer and will ultimately lead to bigger $$ repairs.
If your buildin a rock crawler or trail rig trailer queen that's another story. Cut it, lift it, blow it do what ya gotta do to get to the top, through the mud or whatever makes you happy....
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 PM

Oh I aint going to fiddle with the fan again. I learned my lesson. I was just curious. My Jeep hasn't ran this cool in a long time although with winter coming on I may have to put a higher temp thermostat in it. 99 degrees here today and I put about 50 miles on the Jeep city driving and highway driving and it barely got above blue. Good for summer bad for winter.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh BTW, I hope you didn't fall for the $30 fan clutch from the auto discounters. I did. Put one in my 4 cyl S-10. What a nightmare. Thing burns gas like a Viper on trackday and runs like crap. Gotta get it outta there before I choke the thing to death (pun intended)
Old 07-31-2003, 10:51 PM

Guilty as charged. Might as well just put a spacer on the fan. There aint no "clutch" to the clutch. Going to eventually invest in a good one but this one will do for now. Probably going to have to get a starter first.........
Old 07-31-2003, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like I said, I got one too...... I've heard they're loaded with soybean oil. But who knows...
Old 08-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

NIX is an unknown quantity at this point

The thermostat decides the operatingtemperature of your engine. This is the base of what thermo you choose. The engine will only overheat if the coolant cannot be cooled down enough. This is decided by the cooling capacity of your radiator. (Assuming the pump is OK.) In wintertime the thermo will only allow coolant to go to the radiator, when engine temperature exceeds the maximumtemp of the thermostat. I'm trying to say that it doesn't matter if it is winter or summer, your engine needs the same optimumtemp to work proper and not overheat. In wintertime the thermo will allow less coolant to the radiator, in summer it lets pass more. (Is this a correct phrase??) That's how it works. By putting a thermo with a higher temp, you only increase the risk of overheating your engine in the winter!! Don't tinker with your thermostat. Choose the right one and let it tinker for you, that's why it's in there.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

LionShooter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey this is a good thread. A lot of sound advice.
Like why do people think that changing a thermostat makes the truck run better and cooler? NOT. The R&D guys get paid the big bucks to have that all figured out for us but we're smarter, right? So we drop in the 160 stat and think we've pulled one over on Jeep. :snicker:
Oh dear. The flex fan. Do they work? Well.......yes, somewhat. I destroyed my stock fan when a motor mount gave way while trying to panic stop going down a 40% grade. Pushed the engine through the rad. There was no Jeep replacement to be found in Costa Rica so I had to resort to a modified Buick fan with 2" cut off the blades. It worked fairly well but I was still pushing 260 so I changed it out for the Flex with the spacer. It did keep the temp closer to the operating range of 210-240. But God was it noisy! Like a big blower/supercharger running all the time...no clutch...it never shut up!
When I got back to Atlanta, I picked up a good stock fan at the local yard for $25. I think that was a fair price. So Now my XJ is stock again and the temp stays where it is supposed to. The Flex fan? In the box of "Just in case" parts. The Buick fan? Damn, I wish I could get my $100 back.
Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement