a/c r-12 or r-134 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Mid-Sized

Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2003, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default a/c r-12 or r-134

Hello, I dont have a cherokee yet. I have posted on here a few times, and pretty soon i'll have enough money to really start my hunt for a nice cherokee, heres my question, what year did they start using r-134 for air conditioning in?.... is there a conversion for the r-12 to switch it over.-- price?. Thanks. Nick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2003, 10:51 PM
tuckjaminout

Default Re: a/c r-12 or r-134

No idea on the exact year. I DO know that it says what it uses under the hood. Even if it was changed over, it has to be placarded. The new ones use a bigger inlet and the older ones used to look like tire valves, just one was bigger. I swapped mine over and it is a '90, about a month ago. Only BAD thing about the new R134; it's a smaller molecule and therefore, can leak out of the system easier than the old stuff could. So, you might have to replace it more often, untill all the little seals fill in. I'd still get a pro to to the system right. There's more to it than just the freon. You can be full and still not get cool if it's not running right.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast

LionShooter is an unknown quantity at this point

My AC did not work when I bought the truck so I went after it myself because AC shops are non existent in my town. Did not know if it had just leaked down or had a bad
compressor, but since most AC problems are due to leakage, I bought a refill kit at the auto parts store. It had the filler tube and gauge, thermometer and a couple cans of freon. I also bought a can of lube and most important of all, I got a can of stop leak. Put the stop leak in first then the oil then the freon. Crossed my fingers and fired it up. It worked. R134 won't cool as much as R-12 but it does an adequate job, even at sea level in 95 heat. I think it all cost about $50.
Stan
Old 07-15-2003, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

RE:
Hello, I dont have a cherokee yet. I have posted on here a few times, and pretty soon i'll have enough money to really start my hunt for a nice cherokee, heres my question, what year did they start using r-134 for air conditioning in?.... is there a conversion for the r-12 to switch it over.-- price?. Thanks. Nick

the 1995 & up uses the r-134a
earlyer ofcorse the r-12 syst [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

RE:

the 1995 & up uses the r-134a
earlyer ofcorse the r-12 syst [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The year was 1994. It is called the Montreal Protocol. R12 Production stopped and all new cars came with R134a. You can convert any R12 system to R134a but the compressor and all the mineral oil must be changed to synthetic oil. So people say you can flush the compressor to remove the oil but I donít believe this to be true. You can have no more than 5% mineral oil when you change over. There is another option to covert an R12 system; it is used to convert R12 refrigerators. This is a direct drop in replacement for R12 no oil changes or hassles. It is R414b (Hot Shot) I donít believe it has been legally approved for cars. It actually works better than R12. Or so I have heardÖ.. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

JeepSteve92xj is an unknown quantity at this point

here is the link to a bb on AC system, including repair and upgrade or change out:
Automotive Air Conditioning Buliten Board
I would like to repair my system and switch out to the hotshot refridgerent, and besides O-rings being a good idea, I need to replace my damaged condenser and should replace my old dryer. If I decide to change to the 134A, I out to get a new and larger more efficient condenser. I can get the bigger better one for less than a new Jeep part.
I think I looked up the dryer and aftermarket condenser on this site:
ACkits

If the compressor is in good condition, it should not have to be replaced.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement