Off Roading Forums banner

Engine Miss Fixed - 4.0 Head on 4.2 Block

467 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
As a refresher...I bought an 89 Cherokee for $300 that had a blown engine. I had the head rebuilt and I put it on top of an 88 Wrangler 4.2 block I had with only 5K miles on it. Overall, everything worked except for the engine cutting out in a narrow RPM/throttle range. I tried everything. I finally gave in and took it to the jeep dealer.

The timing was off. The mechanic had to renotch the dist to get it properly timed for TDC on piston #1. It appears that there is just enough difference in the blocks to throw it off. He also had to replace a component in the dist. I plan to go by and talk to him and see how he was able to measure the timing. There are no timing marks that I know of.

Anyway, she now runs fine. This week I pick up my 4" lift and related goodies. Time to get this baby ready for the trails.

G
#3 ·
He/ She may have dead-timed your engine. I'm not sure about re-notching of the distributor. Its usually a last-ditch effort, or done at time of rebuild. Very time consuming if not done during rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.