Jeep Saftey and Children - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Lounge Still Jeepers, but not vehicle-specific. Good place to share your general mechanical tips, OT stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Saftey and Children

Hi guys, new to the forum. Figured I'd start my first post with somthing close to my heart.

With spring coming, it's just about time to take the top off the Wrangler. Every year however, I got through the same concern in my head. How safe is this for my now 5year old daughter who is riding in the back seat?

I've been driving my daughter round with me for the past 5 years with no issues. I've seen her go from a baby seat to now a modified booster (so I can go on bumpy trails!). One thing she always looks forward to is spring and summer when the top gets taken off!

I've often asked myself how safe is this? The rational I've come to... is that if some idiot plows into me, it's not going to matter whether I was driving my jeep, or my wife's Honda. Either way something terrible is going to happen.

I know it's not the best rational, many call me a fool. I don't think i should live in fear, but am I crazy?

What say you guys? Any similar experiences?

Thanks,

Rodd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast

If you roll, the hardtop is going to crack like an egg and be of no value, just something to hit you on the head as it disincarnates. Other than making sure there are no items in the jeep that can fly around and kill you during an event it is all up to proper belting and driver care and experience. Try to teach your daughter to not stick her hands outside of the jeep and in the event of a crash tell her to not grab the roll bar; find another place for her to hold on and teach her to use it. Roll bars that have hands wrapped around them in a roll often smash the hand between the bar and the ground/rock.

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 AM

Well i make sure the kids are always on seatbelts all the time or else the 5 star safety rating of the jeep will be useless. i just educate them early regarding the hazards of not wearing seat belts. Well guess what i just use you tube to educate them. now they behave like a teenager. actually i dont have any worries with having a head to head collision with a car except for an suv or a pickup truck. but i think it could also be safe even against pickup trucks or suv, just imagine how big the bumpers of our jeep parts.

Last edited by nbaker; 01-28-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode