Jeep Liberty 2004 WARNING - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Grace

Jeep Liberty 2004 WARNING

On October 31, 2006 my best friends daughter was involved in a rear end collision in her Jeep Liberty. The Liberty exploded upon impact and she died as a result of the fire. She did not have a chance. There are many people who witnessed this accident and stated that the vehicle was engulfed before anyone could even get to her. Since this accident her family has done a lot of research and also found several other cases such as this one. This girl did not have to die. The autopsy revealed she had NO internal injuries. The auto that hit her had minimal burn injuries and the vehicle in front of her was barely damaged. We have discovered through a firm that has already settled cases for the Grand Cherokee which I might add has the same fuel tank design. The fuel tank on the Liberty and the Grand Cherokee are located behind the rear axle rather than forward of the rear axle. It is also made of a material that is easily ruptured. There are so many of the vehicles on the road and I feel the owners have a right to know the potential danger when involved in a rear end collision. This was such a tragic loss of a beautiful life and had she not been driving this vehicle she would be here today. There is an article and web site for the firm who handled these cases if you would like to read it. These vehicles should be recalled and the fuel tanks redesigned. However, it is much easier and less costly for them manufacturer to settle these claims out of court rather than recall the vehicles. If you drive one of these vehicles please just be aware that this is a potential danger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Riz
Journeyman

Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to install one of the gas tank armour plates they make for off roading! Actually I have researched this claim extensively and there is no validity to it. the articles people quote don't exist, the name of the person posting it changes from post to post. Not sure of the motive here, but DO NOT believe it!

Last edited by Riz; 02-24-2007 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
CRD4Liberty

Sorry for the loss, but the position of the Liberty fuel tank is not something new in the auto industry. My '75 Dodge van and I'm sure other vehicles and other Jeeps have had their tanks back there and haven't had a particularly bad history of death from fire that I can remember. There are over 3/4 million Libertys alone with the design.
All the best and my prayers go to the family involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 PM

If the Jeep liberty has a number of cases like this one how come the car was never recalled? every part must be checked first before selling it, from its wheels, engine, interiors and exterior design. This must be checked in order to avoid some future accidents.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The majority of vehicles on the road today run on gasoline or diesel, and no matter where you put the fuel tank there is bound to be the potential for an accident that could rupture the tank and cause a fire. Such is life if you want to be able to drive. You just have to be willing to roll the dice and hope your number isn't up. Otherwise I do believe that you can have yourself locked in a padded cell somewhere to try to be "safe" from the dangers of the world, but then the building could burn down or an earthquake or tornado could collapse it in on you, so really there is no such thing as safe. Only three things are certain in this world, 1. You (we) were born. 2. You (we) will be robbed of tax dollars by a corrupt government. 3. You (we) WILL die.

Yah, I know, I am a cold heartless jerk for being blunt about it, but it is the way it is and I have seen to many stuck in the ground in my life to feel any other way about the subject anymore.

90 XJ 4.0 lift 4 1/2", 31 x 10 1/2 MT's
First piece of advice, free,
My opinion, free,
F'n with my family, YOUR LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode