How do you like your Liberty? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
graydiger

How do you like your Liberty?

Hi guys/gals, I'm downsizing from a Tahoe and it looks like the best deal for my money is a Liberty probably a Limited for the everyday comfort and the ease of finding one in my area. So what do you'll think of them? Plenty of power? Any negetive problems?

Thanks for your input,
Don

PS. I have a built Samurai for wheelin this would be a everyday driver and tow vehicle for the samurai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:39 AM
graydiger

Re: How do you like your Liberty?

Well I guess not a lot of action on this forum so i'll reply and talk to myself, I just bought a '03 limited khaki colored, pretty loaded but not a lot of power so i'll work on that (k&n filter and check into other engine mods) I'll probably put an ARB bumper with a winch on the front with a tiny lift on the front to equealize after the winch and bumper.

Don
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've heard they have a problem eating up ball joints, but the engine is supposed to be pretty good. Now if they would put a solid axle under the front [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just putting in my 2cents so your not here alone. It's been pretty quiet around here lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diffently the most rugged IFS in this price range maybe even more so than a TACO, anyway the power to wieght isnt the greatest, but I'd say comparable to a grand cherokee with a inline 6. I hopw u like ur new investment, it has many inovative styling ideals that should keep it fresh for years to come. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:33 PM
graydiger

It was definitly the best deal in it's class, I wanted something small and sporty, I like the option of having full time four wheel drive and I got it for invoice plus $299 with nearly every option, I think it will be a great grocery getter for my misses.

Don
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had an 02 Ltd, traded it @ 40K for an 04 Overland GC. I liked it- in some ways better n the Grand I just got. It has nice air vents for the rear passengers as well as decent legroom. It was a little short on cargo space with the rear seats up- way less than my 98 XJ. Decent power, engine was fairly smooth, auto shifted nice and the sound system was heads and shoulders above that in my Grand. Headlights were kickin!! One major flaw however, was oil filter placement. You had to be some sort of Zen yoga mechanic to get to it. Overall, for the money it has got to be the best in its class.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 PM

Was there anything problems, beside the cargo area that you had? I have heard of vibration, and tranny problems. I am buying a car next week and I really like the liberty but I am concerned about the reliability.
Thanks,
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the vehicle for a total of 40K miles. In that time my wife and I drove the heck out of it-albeit on pavement. At about 20K the vehicle would not exceed 30mph. It went in to the dealership and stayed for 30 days. During that time they replaced the PCM, 1 head, the plugs and wires. It took the STAR factory tech to discover that a piece of sealant used during assembly had migrated to and clogged a fuel rail. Blockage was cleared- prob solved. The dealership kept us in a Tahoe rental the whole time. Never had a peep of trouble since. REALLY enjoyed the thing. I've heard of tranny probs over the boards but truth of the matter is alot of the stuff comes from first time jeepers-maybe even the first new car some folks have owned- stuff like "buzzing sounds" coming from the tranny- it's the interlock and a lot of complaints from the more traditional jeepers about the "dubious value" of independent front suspension. If you are like 995 of the folks out there- you will spend the vast majority of your time on the pavement and the Libby shines there. It is absolutely heads and shoulders above the rest of the stuff in its class INCLUDING the over priced Land Rover junk.... It has run the Rubicon- your Tahoe has not and anybody can build a lemon. So get one- they are helluva value at any trim level. I will say that in pure terms of size, it is a big step down from the Tahoe BUT in terms of ride and power, fit and finish (the LTD)and handling you won't miss much and remember I had an '03 Tahoe in LT trim to compare for 30 days. Get the tow package and the limited slip rear and by all means go for the premium sound. The controls behind the steering wheel are great!!
We traded the Libby for a Grand Cherokee Overland Edition- I wish the Libby design team would massage the Grand..... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:06 AM

Ok, I took your advice and the dealer is looking for tje upgraded 4wd and stereo.

Can I ask why you went for the grand cherokee. I originally wanted one because of the cargo area, but the rear seating didn't seem to have any more space and I didn't like the interior as well.

Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Keen eye. I think the Libby actually has more rear legroom-due in large part to the elevated front seats. They allow for rear passengers to slide their feet under the fronts. I also like the rear air vents in the Libby which are painfully absent in the Grand. I got the Grand for its greater tow capacity and increased cargo capacity behind the rear seats. I also like the GPS- which wasn't available on the KJ. I think DC oughta turn the Kj interior design team loose on the ole Grand..... I liked the KJ layout a tad better than the grand as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode