How do you like your Liberty? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

Re: How do you like your Liberty?

Just wait... it wont be long before there is a mainstream SFA conversion kit to put a D60 up under the front of that thing! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 PM
RedEyedRooster

I have a 2002 Renegade I bought new which now has 102000 miles on it. I havent had any problems, get about 16.8 mpg. Automatic w/overdrive, select track fwd. Plenty of power. Wish it had a frame and a solid front axle. I live in the woods and I want to lift but not 2.5" for 32" tires that will eat the inside of my fenderwells. I want to be able to run 35" and have some clearence. I think its a good vehicle for the money.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Apprentice

I like the thing, but the recommended maintenance will suck your wallet dry. Since DC has had a few tranny problems over the years, their solution seems to be to have you change the fluid every year - at ungodly cost per quart. Our maintenance bills for this year alone are over $1k - all required by the factory maintenance schedule. Most expensive vehicle I've owned maintenance-wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Liv2Atv

liberty

I have a 2003 jiberty 4x4 sport, silver. I have a brand new set of tires that are the biggest you can get without a lift. I like the liberty because i can tow my atv's and its one of the safest midsized suv's on the market. The only problems i have with it is the flat grille and windshield make it hard to keep it going straight at highway speeds and the mpg varies greatly from week to week. I also take it offroad in wisconsin, nothing to hard for an almost stock jeep, and it handles great. The engine has a lot of torque but not a lot of horsepower for my liking. Dont go with a 2002 Liberty because the ride quality is horrible. If you can find a cheap 05 4x4, youre in luck and you should really consider it. Another problem is the height of the car. You have to make sure youre at a speed where you wont tip the car. I still like to push my luck sometimes though! I really like my liberty but there are other suv's out there that are better for offroading.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Aprentice

I don't usually post in this forum since I am an XJ owner, but my girlfriend just got a 2004 KJ a couple of weeks ago and she loves it. I have to admint it does drive nicer than my two XJ's and the mileage is about 20 MPG, which isn't bad for an SUV. I have also heard that there is a problem with the ball joints, so I took a look at this site and found these recalls on the KJ. These recalls are only for 2004 model, bout you can do a search on the year that you buy and have them fixed at no charge. 2004 Jeep Liberty Recalls, Defects, & Safety Problems at Automotive.com

1995, Cherokee Country, 4.0, Automatic, 4" hodgepodge lift, 32X10.5X15 Cooper Radial STT's
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM

I'd like to get a diesel Liberty this year

Looks like a 2005 4x4 from what I read here

Anybody have a diesel ?
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Have two 2007 Liberty's - here's the report

My wife and I own two 2007 Jeep Liberty's - here's a detailed report. First, hers, a 2wd Limited automatic, for which we traded in a Honda CRV. I hated the Honda, despite all the positive consumer reviews and reports. The Honda, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, etc. are basically cars made to look like SUV's. The Liberty is like a mini-Suburban, imparting a feeling of stability and security. A real engine in the front, transmission and a real rear axle. The four coil springs offer long wheel travel and the thing is great over city potholes. No it's not as economical as the crossovers and probably doesn't handle as well, but it's not the same beast. It is a good solid general transportation vehicle, built in traditional style, and feels like it will last for quite some time. Glad we bought it instead of the crossovers.

A few weeks after we bought hers, I ended 30 yrs. of driving Chevy SWB 4x4 pickups and bought a 2007 6 spd manual 4x4 Jeep Liberty. I'm sure not certain I did the correct thing, I miss my Chevy pickup. The Liberty probably has better traction of the road than than my 2004 Chevy did - I'm basing that statement on the long wheel travel and coil springs at each corner. The 6 speed is tremendous, offering sports car like control over the engine. Where the Liberty falls down a bit for off road travel is less ground clearance. The approach/departure angles are fine, but I'm a little leery about taking it on mountain trails covered with sharp limestone rock. It is very stable and tracks straight for highway driving, lots of room, very practical.

But I'm starting to think about going back to a Chevy SWB. What's the problem? Nothing, really, the Liberty is a fine 4wd, just that a feel more at home driving what I did for over 30 yrs, a Chevy SWB 4x4. Trouble is, Chevy is now automatic only, I may stay with the Liberty for that reason.

Hope these comments shed some light on the Jeep Liberty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode