Diesel Liberty - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep Liberty KJ

Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Diesel Liberty

I recently attended the St. Louis auto show and was told that Jeep will be coming out with a diesel version for liberties in 2004 or 2005. I want to know exactly when they are coming out and if they will be available in the Renagade version. Who can I contact to get more info on this and when will they be available to order and how do you get one on order in preparation for their release?

I like the Liberty and like the idea that they will have an optional diesel with 25% more fuel mileage.

Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 04:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Diesel Liberty

Hi,

I just bought a 2003 KJ with a 2,5 liter CRD (common rail diesel) It is made in the US, but I think it is only available for the european market for now....
Do you know if the KJ has a Track-Lock differential installed in the standard vehicle?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of MPG are you getting. It seems like they are being tight lipped with info about the Diesel. Any extra info that you could provide would be great. Have you had any problems with your Liberty? Thanks

Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trac lock comes with the off road package only AFAIK
Peace
Old 07-10-2003, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
3.7 get 20= mpg hiway empty
15 mpg towing 22 ft boat

diesel rumored at 30mpg. less power than 3.7 but more than 2.5 according to four wheel driv mags. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We have had diesel KJ's in the UK since 2002. I drive a 2.5crd limited manual. It averages about 30mpg (UK gallons). The new 2.8crd auto is already available over here and the book fuel consumption is 27.4mpg (UK gallons). The main advantages of a diesel are the low down torque (max torque is generated at about 2000 rpm) and the excellent fuel consumption figures. They are better off road but noiser and slower on road. However in the UK the price of gas is such that you have to be very rich to run a 3.7 engine. Checkout www.chryslerjeep.co.uk as this gives the bhp, torque and fuel consumption of the 2.8crd auto (remember UK gallons are not the same as US gallons!).

The Jeep Diesel engines are very reliable and are actually a Mercedes unit.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bit about less power is not strictly correct. If you intent to off road or tow with a vehicle the BHP is not the most important measurement. Torque at low revs is the main indicator of power and potential control of power to the wheels. This is how the engines stack up: 3.7L=208 BHP and Torque 230ft/lbs @ 3800rpm, 2.8CRD=148 BHP and Torque 266ft/lbs @ 1800rpm. This gives the diesel a massive advantage in the amount of power to the wheels (particularly at low revs). This makes it a superior off roading and towing engine. In this case, horse power alone doesn't cut it! However if you just want a quiet, smooth ride (i.e. highway use only) and fuel consumption is not an issue, you would probably be better with the 3.7L engine.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi all from Australia. I have a KJ 2.8 CRD Limited and it is sensational. Fuel econonmy todate is 10.7 litres per 100kms (you can work out the mpg). This vehicle goes real hard when run in and it hoses off all the run of the mill 4wd vehicles around here bar the exotics. Towing capicity is awesome. Just a correction re the engine, it is not a mercedes unit (thats in the Grand Cherokee -2.7 litre) it is italian manufactured by VM Motori and developed in consultation with Detroit Diesel.

No problems at all so far but still early days. This model, 2003, [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] has disks on the rear hence the increased towing capicity.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Fuel econonmy todate is 10.7 litres per 100kms (you can work out the mpg).

[/ QUOTE ]

21.98 mpg
Old 06-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Journeyman

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok hate to say this. but here goes.. Im a diehard Toyota fan, and in the toyota forum on here. But i must say been looking for a diesel truck (even considered shipping a diesel from oversaes to home in Canada). But a Diesel Liberty has got me looking hard at what i would of never considered w/o the diesel.... Sellen the p/u and getten a Liberty.

21/22mpg sound fairly good, diesel is still 10-20 cents cheaper a liter here, but how does it fair to city driving? I know the wifes vw diesel, is 1100km hwy and 900km city on a 55L tank, my old I6 jeep got 550L per 70L tank.... and down in the 2-300's for city, quite the difference.

Any other inputs on the diesel, or just the liberty to consider?

Thanks
Arron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Primary Off-Road Vehicle
Primary Off-Road Vehicle
Secondary Off-Road Vehicle
Secondary Off-Road Vehicle
Biography
A few details about yourself
Interests
Your hobbies, etc
Occupation
Your job
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.