800B-Disc Brakes & Power Steering?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > IH Scout & Trucks

IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2001, 02:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 800B-Disc Brakes & Power Steering??

Hi, my parents have a 71 800B. My question is, what is the best way to put discbrakes and power steering on a 800B? For the brakes, can we use the stock axles, or do we need to swap in some other axles? Also, on the power steering, I think the engine is a 345, is there bracketry and a gearbox that will work on our truck? Thanks for the help!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2001, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 800B-Disc Brakes & Power Steering??

The easiest way to get what you are after (at least to me) is to use Scout II components- both axles and the steering gearbox. You will have to relocate the spring perches on the axles, redrill the frame for the steering box, and modify the steering shaft where it connects to the box, but a lot of people have done it. There is a FAQ on this at The Binder Bulletin (http://www.binderbulletin.org) that addresses putting Scout II axles and power steering under a Scout 80 or 800. It actually makes it easier to do both at the same time, since you can use all of the same steering components. One problem is that I 'think' you need a PS pump bracket off of an IH truck; everything else is stock Scout II. The other problem is that it is near impossible to put the standard type Scout II power brake booster on an 80/800 series, because of the way the space is under the hood. If you have to have power assist, you can either butcher some sheetmetal, or use a hydro boost setup (check out Jim Weed's main page for a link to the hydro boost). Some guys have done the Scout II/discs conversion using just the Scout II master cylinder and proportioning valve, no booster at all; they say that with the lighter weight of the 80/800, brake effort is not that bad.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-09-2001, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 800B-Disc Brakes & Power Steering??

Hey olscout by looking at your profile you have a '70 800? Do you have any pictures? Any modifications you've done to your scout? It seems that you have alot of knowledge to the IH scout line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement