diff. between T18 & T19? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > IH Scout & Trucks

IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2000, 03:04 AM
Veteran

liveaxle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diff. between T18 & T19?

Can someone tell me what the difference between a T-18 and a T-19 tranny is?

thanks,

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2000, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: diff. between T18 & T19?

T19's are full syncro, while T18's are not synchronized in first or reverse. Also, reverse in a T18 is to the right and forward, while in the T19 reverse is to the right and back.

Later,
Curt

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2000, 02:00 PM
Veteran

liveaxle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
Old 09-14-2000, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more thing on the T18 and T19, they both come in close ratio (4 to 1)and wide ratio (6 to 1) as far as first gear goes

Kent

Old 09-14-2000, 04:58 PM
Aprentice

tsm1mt is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, according to IH, they never used the wide-ratio T18 in anything.

The T98, wide-box, unsync'd 4spd was used in the pickups/Travelalls though.

The cut off for Scouts was '75 and earlier = close T18, '75 and newer = close or wide T19.

In 1975, it could be any of the three (close18, close19,wide19)

Old 09-17-2000, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What 4 speed trannies were available in the pickups/Travelall's besides the T98? Any other wide-ratio's (i.e. NP435)? Any close ratios? Thanks!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU

looking for a running IH pickup for trade
Old 09-18-2000, 11:09 AM
Aprentice

Default 4spds for Trucks

FAIK, the only 4spds offered in the Pickup/Travelall lines was the T98 wide-4spd non-sync 1st, and at the end of the production run - maybe as early as '73, but I've heard of a few '74s I think and definitely an option for '75, the T19 4spd in close or wide ratio.

The Scouts got the T19 in '75, so I'm not positive the pickups would have it in '74 or earlier, but I tried to buy a '73 WagonMaster 3/4T 4x4 with a close T19 (of course, it also had a rebuilt non-IC 392..)

I don't know what transmissions might have been used "way back when" - but the T98 has been around since at least the 60s.

I don't believe the NP435 was ever used in the Light Line - I *think* I've heard rumors of it's use in Loadstars and such, but I can't confirm.

*I* don't really see a need for an NP435 if you can have a T98. Not a lot different there. The T98 should have a 6.32:1 granny (I think) vs. the NP435s, what, 7:1?

I'm not too familiar with the 3spds. Most that I've seen were column shift units. I bet most of the later (70s) trucks/T'alls had automatics or the T98. My 1972 1110 Travelall has a 727.

And, of course, let's not forget the T34/T35/T36 IH built 5spds used.

If you want to step up to larger trucks (for trans swaps) you can find lots of fun stuff.. 9spd Fuller RoadRangers (I looked at a 1960 V-220 with a 549 and 9spd), 4spd Allison automatics, etc.

-Tom

Old 09-18-2000, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 4spds for Trucks

Tom, thanks for your response!

One more question...how common are the 5 speeds in pickups/Travelalls? I'm looking at one of each; a '67 Travelall with a 4 speed, and a '70 pickup...and I don't know what tranny the pickup has, other than being a manual. Be nice to have an O/D 5 speed, especially with fuel prices in the SF Bay Area [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Also, although I'm sure this is a pipe dream, how hard would it be to swap from a 4 speed to a 5 speed? And, on average, how hard are 5 speeds to find? I don't think I've ever seen one...

The Warden

Old 09-18-2000, 04:25 PM
Aprentice

My understanding is they're not very common. They're also not widely regarded as improving fuel mileage since the older OD designs didn't always reduce FRICTION in the transmission itself.

Also, the OD is rare, and doesn't make for the most driveable transmission with it's odd shift pattern and large "holes"

My understanding is the swap is do-able - since they came that way from the factory.

You would need the bellhousing, 5spd, and probably some shift linkage from the donor truck. I'm not sure if you'll need the 12 or 13" clutch hardware that goes with it. School buses are a good candiate, along with larger Loadstar trucks - but I don't think the OD 5spd is easy to happen upon.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see...probably not worth the effort. Maybe see about getting one of those U.S. Gear splitters. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One last thing...this just popped into mind. Is the T-98 a Borg Warner tranny, or was it built by IH like the 5 speeds? I realized that I've never heard it specifically referred to as being BW, and the numbering is certainly different from the T-18/T-19.

Again, thanks! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

The Warden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement