Mutz Build - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Mutz Build

A long time ago in a land far far away lived a little boy who just loved Scout IIs... One day he grew up and got himself a Chevy Blazer, granted this was not a Scout II, but close enough for his first ride. Many years past and this little boy grew up and started altering golf carts, one day he had a cart that he was proud enough of to sell... or trade for his Scout II...

So I was parusing c-list and offering a trade of my lifted golf cart for any of the Scout IIs that were listed. I received one contact back with a send me pictures and we will talk. I sent him the picts I had of the cart (available upon request - as well as my other golf cart projects) and the deal had started.

He was a couple hours out side of Modesto California, and I knew friends family who resides in Modesto so this looked like a good weekend get-a-way. This is not a blog so I will not get into details of the expensive wheelin/dealin weekend I had to get the Scout II.

The images captured here are 2 from the guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00 1975 Orange Scout in Sac.jpg (10.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 01 1975 Orange Scout in Sac - 2.jpg (12.0 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Of course if you want the whole story all you have to do is ask... so I arrived at the truck... of course it was in way worse condition than stated in the deal before I drove over 14 hours to get to it. Below are picts of my first encounter with the beast.

There were no nests or infestations (except maybe spiders) in the truck so I considered it a good start. The Scout had 4 flat tires, no tumbler in the column, spiders loving the Scout, and the paint was a little bubbly. Apparently there was a "fast moving brush fire that went under the Scout"... this little fire incident caused not only paint issues, but wiring issues and anything plastic (wire loom) or melt-able (Shock boots) that was exposed became an interesting mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02 Rearend.jpg (65.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 03 Engine.jpg (89.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 04 Frontseat.jpg (76.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 05 Backseat.jpg (71.6 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Got the truck back to my buddy's family's house and put some tires on it that can hold air. Gatta find a new trailer to pull it home on cause I broke my light weight one loading the Scout onto it. Luckly my buddy's dad had a heavy duty one that the Scout would fit; so another deal and some more work and I got the Scout loaded behind my Yukon for the ride back to AZ from Modesto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00-FrontPassenger_zps2709d62f.jpg (90.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 01-Distance_zpsa8318fbd.jpg (91.5 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Scout II in its new home... a comfy garage in Maricopa, Az. This thread will mostly be pictures. If you watch the background you will notice the garage change faster than the Scout. I have had the Scout for 3 years already but only recently started making progress. So the Scout was parked in the garage with mixed matched tires, dents (which while in the garage it will get some more of) a bit of rust, and like all long term projects (at least of mine) started out as a storage unit. The box you see on top of the Scout is actually new rear quarter panels that did not line up well with the original ones, I still have them but decided not to worry about the rust until I can actually drive down the street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-InGarageFront_zpsb03908b8.jpg (92.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 03-InGarageDriver1_zps506dbd60.jpg (89.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 04-InGarageDriver2_zps418c80f2.jpg (91.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 27-FrontDiffFromFront_zpsf1a284d3.jpg (82.0 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Of course the Scout was in a few fender benders, here is one I focused on; and the first one to actually get fixed. It is the Driver front corner below/behind the bumper. The bumper is not pushed in on this side at all; it actually is pushed in on the passenger side. I probably will not be keeping the front bumper for my build (still have it still undecided); so I am not too worried about the dents in it or the fact that it is not straight. However I am trying to keep most of the body (to start with at least) so I will be trying to fix that up shall it be hammering or cut/weld I am going to try to take the cancer off and make the dents at least less noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-BadBodyBend_zpsf685a93a.jpg (77.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 06-BadFrontBody_zps63ba9dbf.jpg (79.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 07-BadBumber_zps62ddd7b4.jpg (96.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 15-Grill_zps347896bb.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Even though the Scout had a brush fire under it, and was sitting in the forest for countless years the interior is in a surprising good condition. The dash pad has the normal sun cracks, and the dash/column could be better, but overall it is pretty darn good. The condition probably will only increase a little bit, but I might get a bug up my bum and try to redo the interior a little. Notice the nice door panels with no rips in them… I am actually quite impressed with the condition, ohh and as a red-neck hillbilly I love the peg board head-liner (and the ‘key’ for the ignition sitting in the passenger seat)…
Please remember that this Scout II project is not going to be entered into a Show-N-Shine competition. Once I get the Scout running and able to drive safely down the street this beast will become a trail boss. I will end up putting it to its limit, and as my bud said “if in a few years after we get [the Scout] going if there is a body panel with no dents on it we have not been using it enough, and eventually you know it will end up paint side down…” yup and I agree this Scout will not be the one that is on Barrett-Jackson but it will not be the one that ends up not looking like a truck but more of a roll-cage with an engine. This truck will be able to be used as a ‘round the town and to work if I need it as well as a trail buster during the weekends. It will not be my DD so I will be able to do a little bit more mods than the DD/Weekend warrior but I do not think (at least at this time) that the Scout will become a trailer queen (due to not legal to be on the street anymore) that has become a cage I sit in with wheels and a drive train.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-Dash_zpsf5a93602.jpg (76.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 09-DriverInsideDoorPanel_zps03bf6f2c.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11-PassengerSeatampDoorPanel_zps73f216f2.jpg (51.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 10-Headliner_zpsa7d6caaf.jpg (71.5 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

First upgarde!!!

Alright so besides the normal fender/wheel well and rocker cancer this Scout has had a bit of bad luck… first the hood has a great dent on it that someone tried to pull out and then bondo over that will probably either be ground down and a plate welded into place or a new(er) hood will replace this one. I also would like to point out the first garage created problem… while unloading the Scout the driver door caught the vehicle next to the trailer and bent the lip of the door out =( no worries though as stated before this will not be a Show-N-Shine so a hammer will fix this for now.
This post also has the FIRST UPGARDE to the Scout II. I purchased 33-12.5R15 tires and rims for the Scout off of Craigslist; now the Scout has 4 matching tires/rims so it will now sit level and hold air in the tires for more than a day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-RustyHood_zps38ee7d27.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 13-DriverDoor_zps33499659.jpg (43.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 16-TiresPutontoMoveit_zps95e70d7a.jpg (61.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 30-TiresfromC-listwithrims_zps81e5d420.jpg (74.9 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Here are some pictures of the underside of the Scout II. Body bushings showing their age, shock boots showing how hot it got under the Scout during the fire, and the fill tube for the gas tank to connected and all the crap on the undercarriage that needs to be cleaned up and redone if necessary. The Scout II will need quite a bit of undercarriage TLC I think, but I am up to the challenge – I hope.
I also include a picture of the original (I think) AMC engine it is a 345 V8 2bbl carb, it does crank over but even with hope, drowning the carb with gas and a new battery it will not crank over and sputter. I was hopeful but honestly I knew it would not start the first try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-BodyMount_zpsb17ec87e.jpg (52.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 19-BurntShock_zps4dbcc89f.jpg (74.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20-GastankNeck_zps867bac67.jpg (100.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 28-Engine_zps626deac3.jpg (104.2 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

With the Ignition switch on the floor next to the shifters it was easy to see where I needed to start for getting the Scout to start. Not only will installing the ignition switch make it easier to try and start the Scout, but also it would add security to it so I can park it out of the garage if needed. I think the next upgrade will be new key locks and a new tumbler for the ignition.
You can also view the drive train as it was when I got the Scout, paint flacking / bubbling off of the components, and a little rust over pretty much everything. This has got to go, and I have to change the fluids so what better time to spend the time to clean up the covers/pans and repaint them? Pictures of that to come later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-Shifters_zps466847f5.jpg (56.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 21-DriveTrain_zps72deb1ac.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 22-Oil_zps73e22496.jpg (79.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 23-Tranny_zpsf48ed5b4.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

As with the boot for the shock the brush fire had its way with the split plastic wire loom that was through-out the truck such as seen here covering the electric wire that was supposed to go to the transfer case. The wire was unplugged, the connection was burnt to a crisp and the loom had melted over the wire even thru the insulation in some places. I knew there would be some re-wiring to do; little to my knowledge then I would have quite a bit more to re-wire than the ones under the truck.
The Scout DID come with true dual exhaust with Super Turbo mufflers. There was no ‘H’ pipe so the Scout would sound quite nice in my hillbilly opinion – once I got it started that is.
The Scout was lifted with spring mount drops near the center of the frame and on the outsides there were longer shackle hangers. At least they left the stock Dana 44s front and rear; I plan on keeping them because I like the narrowness of the Scout and the availability of aftermarket parts for D44s. I do not plan on having to change these axles out, but who knows once I get it running nice and I break an axle (or housing) I might just upgrade then; just not sure what I would upgrade to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24-X-FerCase_zpse29b46e5.jpg (99.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 25-Exhaust_zps5283ced1.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 18-LiftBlock_zpsa8531538.jpg (46.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 26-RearDiffFromFront_zps052d6ced.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode