Mutz Build - Page 5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Alignment

Naturally after new tires it is time for a proper alignment. This will be done by my preferred alignment shop. I drove the Scout there and they put it on the rack. The Camber and Caster were adjusted but when the tech went to do the toe; it could not be dialed in. The drag link was so bent up that it was hitting the diff cover on one side of turning it and the spring pack on the other side of turning it; so we removed the tie rod end on one side to align the toe to drive it. Well this is just not good enough for me with this project so I purchased new tie rod ends that are for a 3/4tonn GM, got jam nuts, weld in bungs, and 1.75” DOM and made new Tie Rod and Drag Links. Of course this was not as easy as it sounds; I had to purchase a specialized reamer because I had to open up the holes in the knuckle and on the pitman arm. While I was at it I flipped the drag link so that it is on top of the knuckles; just a little bit more clearance for rocks and such.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (86.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (94.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

have to find picts

I have pictures of when i rebuilt the front wheel locks (and installed new studs in the calipers) and of the old vs. new tie rod and drag links. I will post when I find them.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

Final Xfer case support

I do not recall if I mentioned that I had to change the cross member for the transfer case... well I have a final simple revision that these pictures show. I welded in blocks to essentially lower the frame in that section and bolted in 3" channel to support the xfer case. Should have done this to start with; so simple and has a ton of clearance for the drive shafts. This does however become my lowest point; but when I put rockers on I will also put some slider bars that will look like trac bars but will be to assist in sliding the truck over stuff so that I am less likely to tear the cross member off taking my drivetrain with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (58.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (90.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
mut
Apprentice

DD

I have sold my daily driver in hopes of getting a newer pickup. I had a 2001 GMC Yukon 4x4 5.3l lifted 6" with 315/75r16... now the Scout is my DD and weekend warrior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode