71 800B, blown main seal...poop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

71 800B, blown main seal...poop

Well, now I done did it! Got ol' gal up, runnin, and legal and started driving it 25 miles round trip each day to work. She sounded and drove real nice this last week (give or take a leaky gas tank...) but this morning started throwing oil from the main - bad! Well, not catastrophic, it didn't die with a "bang and a poof" but I gotta get it to where I can look at it and suspect I aught not drive it. I have the 232 6 cyl, not sure about the nomenclature of the tranny but think I have a Dana 40 rear end.
The thing is I've been wrestlin' with the "sell it/keep it" question. I'd really like to keep it but it keeps sending me these "little" hints to sell and Scout lovers abound here in Minnesota. I would like the experience of replacing the seal myself since a 71 offers fewer complications than a newer vehicle and love the sense of accomplishment I get out of working on my Scout but have never done this job before. I'm a decent mechanic. Am I biting way more off than I can handle? ANY feedback would be welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Addict

if you do your research and take your time, you can do anything. front of rear seal?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Journeyman

Is this a IH Motor? Or a Jeep 6 cyl? If it is an IH motor.......the front seal in in the timing cover. Acually not bad to get to. Lower pulleys.....balancer......a few bolts on the oil pan.......and the water pump should get the timing cover off and the seal out. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode