motor swap,350 chev into a scout 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Smile motor swap,350 chev into a scout 2

hey,does anyone know whats needed to do an engine swap on a scout 2,im looking at putting a tbi 350 chev into mine,it currently has the 345- 4speed engine,any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Scout Motor swap to a chevy

I to am interested in doing this to my scout, mainly because chevy 350 parts are easier and cheaper to find. If you hear anything out about this please let me know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 AM

It' simple. Just get you a chevy 350, a transmission and a transfercase that bolts together and install it in your scout.
Don't waste your time trying to bolt a 350 to your scout transmission... Keeping it all chevy will make it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 PM

I did this same conversion to my scout, you can get the adapter from advance adapters to bolt the 350 to the scout trans, the nice thing about this is, no custom drive shafts, so spares are plentiful, plus the 737 trans is super tough
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
mut
Apprentice

I put a 350/th400/203 in my scout, but I am still in the process of getting it drive-able. I decided that since it would have cost me the same amount to get my Torqueflight 727 rebuilt (the IH motor needed an overhaul too) as it would be to buy a truck and gut it to get the scout running I decided to do the entire drive train transplant.

I am thinking of doing a picture filled thread on the build; think people would be interested?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 AM

I am going to start this same project either this summer or next. I have a Chevy 350tbi engine that is already connected to a transmission and transfer case. However, I am now wondering if it would be easier to just purchase the adapter kit (Advance Adapters) and keep the Scout II 4-speed manual and the rest of the drive-train as it is.

Transmission is good, transfer case is good, drive-lines are good.

As I see it, the cost is about the same either way. 2 custom drive shafts is about the same price as the adapter kit. Just swapping the engine would probably require less alterations of the Scout chassis / interior. And the transmission and transfer case that came bolted to my 350tbi would probably be easier to sell than the old Scout drive-train parts, hopefully helping me recoup the cost of the adapter itself.

Maybe I just talked myself into the adapter swap option. But I would love to hear what others think.

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us - ride smart.
Type 1 VW buggy - 2176cc
The Following User Says Thank You to DuoDS For This Useful Post:
Topless51Ford (04-07-2014)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM
mut
Apprentice

Future Upgrades / Rebuilds

DuoDS: you are correct about ease of the project with just an engine swap (advance adapters has engine mounts for a great price), BUT the only custom work I had to do was a x-member for the x-fer case to mount to (3" Channel) and new drive-shafts (Stock front GM Shaft from my donor truck worked so really only the rear is custom).
It IS kinda difficult to sell the original drive train (for good $) but I unloaded mine for a great price to a guy looking to restore a Scout II.
I figured that in the future getting parts for the GM x-fer case would be easier than the IH one. 727 Trans are a "common" Chrysler tranny so getting it rebuilt should not be too bad for parts.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 PM

Mut: did you find that the chevy xfer case hung down much further than the IH one? I have had people tell me that doing the full swap was not too hard, but the xfer case hung down. In order to get your ground clearance back, you had to lift the Scout.

I was thinking of installing a lift kit anyway, because that is an easy way to get replacement suspension parts, and they seem to be cheaper in a kit than bought separately, but if I need more hight because of a drooping xfer case, I might go with a 4" lift.

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us - ride smart.
Type 1 VW buggy - 2176cc
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
mut
Apprentice

Mine Is lifted already but...

My Scout already has a lift on it (not sure of size) but here is a pict of how mine looks after the install (my build) look at the "exhaust" update and the piutcure from the side showing the cherry bomb you can see the x-fer case in comparison to the frame. If needed I can take some measurements of my setup so you can get an idea. If you cut off the AMC engine mounts and use the ones from Advanced Adatpters then you can esentually "lift" the engine up some too (jsut becareful for the fan shourd).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode