1979 Scout Fuel problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > IH Scout & Trucks

IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM

joshegoedhart@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Default 1979 Scout Fuel problem?

So, I admitedly not a mechanic. I try, and I do know a few things since I grew up on a farm, but I am definetly needing help. I have a 79 scout, with a 304 V8. My truck has been running great up until two days ago. I was driving when it seemed like I just lost power and died. My gas gauge doesn't work, so I thought I might just be out of gas. Twenty minutes later i put in gas and it started right up. Then I went to the gas station and realized that I was only about half full. So, I cleaned the points, adjusted the gap, checked the radiator, ignition, coil, oil, etc. Everything else seems to be fine. Is there a possibility that it is just my fuel filter? I don't think so seems how it has now happened to me five times in the last two days. It starts right up and If I drive for more then about ten minutes it dies out, and I have to wait another twenty or so till it cools and it starts again. Also, as a side note, when it dies I took off the air filter and for some reason there is no gas going to the carb...but then when it is cooled, it goes to it again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, josh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM

speedie mc pete is on a distinguished road

Josh,

Start cheap and get a new filter. To me thats the simplest way to go. It also could be vapor locking up on you. The '77 I had used to do that when the weather temps. would drastically change. Check the fuel cap and make sure its on tight enough. If it does it again like you mentioned after a few minutes, stop get out and twist off the gas cap. If it clears up then its vapor locking on you.

Another suggestion might be that you got water in the tank or excessive moisture in the tank. I know you are in the warm climes (lucky dog) but try some dry gas in the tank as well. I've used a brand called ISO HEAT think its in a red bottle.

IF all else fails start testing the fuel pump out.

Good luck

Paul
'95 COPrice/Impala with a 6 speed
'07 Saturn Aura
'01 GMC Sonoma work truck
Searching for my Scout

It starts right up and If I drive for more then about ten minutes it dies out, and I have to wait another twenty or so till it cools and it starts again. Also, as a side note, when it dies I took off the air filter and for some reason there is no gas going to the carb...but then when it is cooled, it goes to it again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, josh[/QUOTE]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Addict

stump runner is on a distinguished road

x2 on filter. your fuel pump pulls through the filter rather than pushing on new cars. if there is much resistance, plus a little heat, it will do what your saying. is there any chance that the exhaust is too close (maybe it got bent or a broken hanger) or a new exhaust leak adding heat to the fuel lines?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM

Rascus is on a distinguished road

Is it the original steel gas tank? I have heard in some cases the old tanks rust and the crap gets into the lines, then into filter clogging it and killing the engine.

Only reason I suggest this is you say after about 20mins it works again, I'm thinking may all that junk is settling and allowing you to drive.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement