Help! scout 800 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > IH Scout & Trucks

IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-1999, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Help! scout 800

I own a 1970 scout 800. It has a new 345, t-18, dana 20 with 3.73 axle ratios. My question is I want to do a spring over to it and at the same time put a dana 44 front axle with disk breaks out of a scout II but keep the stock rear axle because it already is a 44. I know the scout II axle is a little wider but not much! Is that possable? Will it still drive ok? I would also like to add power stering and power breaks. But i am not sure about the clearence of the booster and the inner fender. Will disk breaks work without a power booster? What axle ratio would you recamend for 33" tires on this.
Is there any thing else you can think of. please help!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-1999, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Help! scout 800

I am now in the exact same situation as the person who posted this. Just bought my 1970 Scout from my wife's grandfather, 42,000 miles which is less than my 98 Pathfinder...amazing...anyway. I want to add power steering and power brakes with disks as well as the dana 44...I would also like to re gear front and back. Advice on this is much appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-1999, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only way you can use a regular power brake vacuum booster in an 800 model is with major surgery. I have been in the process of installing SII axles under my 70 800A, I talked to several people at Binder Bulletin that have this setup with no power booster and they said it works fine. One alternative may be a hydro boost setup, I beleive there is an article about it here on Jim Weed's page; it may be possible to make it fit on an 800A. As for the steering, from what I can see the biggest problem is mating part of the Scout II shaft to the 800 column; as long as you have a 6 cylinder or V8, the steering box should mount in the same spot on the frame. I am not sure if the 4 cylinder 800's had the box inside the frame like the 80's or not; if so, that setup would have to be redone. I beleive there is a FAQ on power steering conversions at Binder Bulletin, it looks like the biggest hassle is finding the correct pump brackets for your engine. I lucked out, I have a 232 AMC six in mine, I found a 73 SII with a 258 and P/S setup in the boneyard and grabbed the entire assembly, brackets pulleys etc.

Old 12-20-1999, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How odd I'm doing to exact same thing to my '71 800B, one good tip I found to put power steering on an old scout is to use a pump and bracket off a pickup instead on a scoutII. A scout II pump will end up in the fenderwell. There's a nice older scout running around Phoenix that has these mods done to it. He had it built by 4wheelers supply in Phoenix and they plated the frame with 1/4" steel and sleeved it to mount the box. It'll be a while before I get my pile o'parts looking like a scout again so if you run into any trouble or find any tricks let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement