Some Help with 84 K20 4x4 Front Axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Predaking

Default Some Help with 84 K20 4x4 Front Axle

Hello and thanx for looking,
I have a 1984 K20 4x4 and have just rebuilt the front end. ie. ball joints, tie rod ends bearings and such. The problem is now for some reason the 4 wheel drive isnt working . The drive shaft is turning and going down the road it feels and drives like its in 4 wheel ,also with the front end up if you turn one wheel the other one also turns.
Only thing i did in the diff was change the fluid, Besides pull axels to replace cv and ball joints. Any thoughts are welcome cause im clueless now. IT was working fine before working on the front end. Doent make any since to me.
Thanx,
Pred
Smile it can't be that Bad unless your Grill looks like a Wrecked old Ford!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Some Help with 84 K20 4x4 Front Axle

Does it have manually locking hubs, or automatically locking ones?

If the differential is "open" (i.e. no limited slip, locker, or posi) then turning one wheel will turn the other the opposite direction. Also only one wheel will ever be driving the front when it is engaged.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Predaking

It has auto locking .
Thanx for the reply
Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Journeyman

LUV24BY is an unknown quantity at this point

I would consider perhaps investing in a set of Warn Premium Hubs (Manual engaging) and see if that helps. The instructions are pretty easy to convert from the automatic to manual hubs.

I know you prolly just dumped good money on repairs, but the Warn hubs are about $100.

Just a thought....

[img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Predaking

Yeah lock outs may very well be the next thing to replace but i still cant figure what would make it stop working when it was working fine 5 hours before when i decided to rebuild the the cv's and ball joints , if i would have taken the locking piece apart it might make since to me but only thing i did was take cap off ,squeeze the pin ,pull the lock out ,remove the spindle nutts or bearing nutts and then housing and then pulled the axel shaft. And replaced it in reverse order. Is there something that should have been marked for reallignment ? Maybe my problem is i used a chiltons and did it step by step according to them. Humm , well thanx for your reply's they let me think of a few other avenues.
Predaking [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Journeyman

Yes, I understand that prior to your overhaul on the front end everything was working good. Since then it seems to be in 4wd. The only factor (and I definately am guilty of this myself) is it was fine before it was worked on and now something is not working properly. With us on this board, sight unseen to what was done with the Automatic Hubs is the only thing we have and now it is locked into 4wd (or so it seems.) I would just take the auto hubs out completely and go with manual hubs. It was just my first recommendation to why it may be in Full Time 4wd. THEN, if it still appears to be in 4x4, then you have to continue on with the process of elimination.

Good Luck either way! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

c_rock is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll probably want to upgrade the hubs in the future anyways, so if it solves your problem you'll kill two birds with one stone.
I never really liked the auto hubs. They were nice for shifting on the fly when you got into something you didn't see coming, but that's about it.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Predaking

Well , i think you all for your reply's and im gonna go ahead and replace the auto's with a set of warn premiums and see if it will then go into 4wd . God i hope so ive taken it apart and put it back together six times and still cant figure it out. Now with that and new leaf springs and bushings ,"if i can find some reasonable " it should drive like a champ. The springs right now look like they been put on upside down there so wore out. Also , im thinking of getting some New 4" leaf springs . With just a 4" in rise will i have to get a new stearing arm ? Im wanting to put some 35's on her to get a little more clearance. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Journeyman

Yes, with the 4" lift you will need to put on a Steering arm to offset the lift. Even if you try to do the lift and skip the steering arm - I wouldn't skip it personally, especially if you plan to run 35's.

Make sure to replace the right stuff the first run so you don't have to keep going back in there to change out the steering arm. My Blazer has a 4" lift with 33's and the steering arm was replaced.

Just some food for thought.... [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.