Wheel hop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 02:37 AM
4x4_Diesel

Default Wheel hop

Hey
Finally got my truck finished and all ready to go out and go 4x4ing. My truck is an 83 3/4ton 6.2 diesel with a 14sf, 10bolt front with 8inch sky jacker springs front and rear. I went out yesterday and was doin some real hard pack hill climbs. I was getting incredable amounts of whell hop and was bouncing all over the place. Granted i was running about 35psi in the tires (37x15.5tsl) . I know about droppin the pressure and everything but there is a set of hills right by my house and its pretty much the a "test" to go up the hills with the way you run your truck on the street. Any ways to make a long story shot i was in the throttle and was bouncing around climbing the hill i got to the top and came down to find i had snaped the axle u joint and tore the ears right off the axle. This has happened before but when the truck was stock. I know a dana 60 would fix the problem of breaking axles but as far as the wheel hop im almost think the truck is just to big. im im almost cosidering goin to a 4inch lift on 35s. The truck is real big and looks cool on the street but off road i was dissapointed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brandon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

b454rat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wheel hop

The truck being big surely doesn't help, but I have about 12" total on mine, and it doesn't hop. If you are going up hill and hopping, the tires are getting traction, or you won't be going anywhere. What kind of shocks do you have? Are they hard of soft? They will make it hop. Having high PSI in the tires will do that too. I don't think I helped too much, not enough coffee yet, hopefully someone has a better solution. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Addict

gottagofast is an unknown quantity at this point

wheel hop in the front? ..... too much go pedal?
Old 12-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Journeyman

Stuby is an unknown quantity at this point

i got an 85 with 8 inches of lift i havent had a chance to wheel it realy i went down some dirt hills once and the tires were at full street psi and i didnt have any wheel hop everything was nice and smooth i dont think its the size something might not be aligned somewhere check your shocks too hope you get it figured out

Stuby [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement