366 tall deck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 PM
alesko

Default 366 tall deck

Was wondering if anybody ever tried a 366 in a pickup?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Pooh-Bah

Drey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 366 tall deck

I havent but im sure if ya wanted to put a motor in something a pickup would be about the easiest to do it to, with the big motor bay and all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 AM
ratlover

Depends on what you are doing if a tall deck BBC is worth it. It will go in no problems, its the same as a regular BBC in every aspect except the deck is a little higher so they take special intakes and distributors. Other than that its the same as putting a regular BBC in there(although some headers might not fit quite right)

What are you doing with it and all that? It depends on your intents and budget on what you should do with that motor.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

73K20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same engine setting at home and have been contemplating putting it in my truck. I'm suck between the 366 or a mild 350. Im interested to see some info on this topic.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

b454rat is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was in CO, there was a guy at the jobsite I worked at that had a 366 in a 3/4 ton 4x4. Asked him how it was, and said it isn't a high rpm motor, but it was a stump puller. He had the spacers to run a standard intake. The tall block motors are only 1/2" taller than standard BBC, so everything will bolt on. If not, take the crank and rods out, put them in any block, and have one of the strongest bottom ends available from the factory. The cranks in 366s are stronger than the LS-6 454s, and the rods are 7/16, instead of the 3/8s rod bolts. Very strong stuff.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:45 AM
ratlover

They do have good parts to rob off. The crank is always a forged unit(not stronger than a ls6 crank IMO but definatly beefy) and the caps are always 4 bolt. A tall deck is good for 2 things IMO. a race motor or if you got one free and are doing something on a budget like just throwing it in. If you are going to do a mild type build up they arnt worth it IMO too much $ per power. The TD blocks use a piston with an extra ring in there so they are heavy sobs if you use a stock type piston. Also remember that the crank for the 366 and a TD 427 is a 3.76" This is the same as a 427 or a 396. It will go into a 454 but then you wont have a 454.

If you are going to do a complete build up were you are going to buy most of the parts I would go with a regular BBC or a Small block. If you are just going to slap something in there kinda temporary with some headers and maybe an intake with the idea that a regular BBC will go in its place then a 366 or td427 might not be a bad idea since you wont have to buy new headers and the like and the heads and intake(if you run a regular intake with spacers) will swap to your future build. A 366 is never a final solution IMO and the only TD that would be is a TD 427 if purpose built.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

I've run across a few guys that had them on multiple forums. They aren't race motors but they have relatively good throttle response and are a lot better just off idle than a smallblock. I've only experienced one 366 and it was running on propane so I can't really say from experience.

A good place to search is coloradok5.com

I remember somewhere some guy had a problem with tall valve covers hitting the brake booster when flexing. Other than that, I've heard no problems with fitment.

If it's a temporary thing, you got the motor for free, or you just want to try something different then go ahead. If you plan on making it a performance motor find something else.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:35 AM
alesko

I wanted to see what feedback there was for the 366. Seems pretty positive.
I've been running the same 366 since 1983. Yes the same engine for 20 years. I freshend it up (new rings and bearings) about 5 years ago. It didn't need them (discoverd
after I tore it down) but put them in anyway.
This engine has been in 5 or 6 different pickups and blazers
Seems the engine outlasts the body.
I also ran it in a pulling truck (street legal modified) for 1 year. I've run it with automatics and 4 speeds (prefer the 4 speed).
The only modifacations are headers (bbc headers fit fine), edelbrock 600 (bolts to stock intake without spacer plate), .060 over flattops (in engine when I got it), and a pertronix stinger kit in the old points distributor.
It has tons of off idle torque, but peaks at about 4500 rpm.
However I have run it up to 6000 a few times while hooked to the sled.
Not only do they have forged cranks, 4 ring pistons, don't forget about heavy duty rods.
I am now running it in a 1 ton dually with a 4 speed. I pull a trailer with the 6500 pound pulling truck and does great on the hills of sw penna. I'm not saying that its the best engine out there but for dependablity it would be hard to beat. Unless maybe a 427 tall deck.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Veteran

MIJeepBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one in my mud truck, with a propane setup. It rips, wouldn't swap that 366 for anything for that application. With the 366, a TH350, 205 and 4:10s driving 44s it could spin them crazy on dry pavement! I did it with my friend's tires, I only have 36.5s on the truck at the time and just went from that setup to a SM465, 205, 3.73s (4:10 front axle was screwed up and the 3.73 d44/60s were laying around) and I am figuring out a driveshaft problem... I say I am all for the 366, especially with propane!! You should see the blue flames it shoots at the ground at night!(manifolds/downpipes only)
Old 05-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Veteran

MIJeepBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bringing this thread back from a week or two ago, does anyone know anywhere on the web that says some specs for hp and torque? I have heard that the chambers in the head/intake are quite small, would any BBC heads fit the TD that would free up some flow? I don't want to put too much into this engine since it runs fine, but I would like to know for future reference... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement