Chevy Center bolt heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
BigUgly

Default Chevy Center bolt heads

I have a set of heads off a `92 Cop Impala. They have 1.94, 1.55 valves, the Parts store call them "swirl port" heads. Are these worth cleaning up and putting on my 383? I have access to a tbi system off a `90 4x4 5.7L (350) engine, and a Crossfire dual TBI off an `84 Vette. I'm tired of stalling on slight angles with the 4 barrel carb I have. I've tried the Quadrajet and now have a Edelbrock Performer, but I'd like to go Fuel Injection. What I need to know is what is better, Crossfire TBI from an `84 Vette, or put these, "Swirl Port" heads on and go with the `90 Truck TBI? I have the heads but, can get either FI system for almost next to nothing. Thanks for the help,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chevy Center bolt heads

The heads aren't too bad. From what I understand they're a lot better than the standard TBI heads but not as great as Vortec heads.

Unless you're trying to get mega-horsepower or plan on running high RPMs all the time I'd go for the plain-jane TBI. It's a lot simpler and parts are cheap. If you've got a mean 383 it's going to need a new chip for the TBI though. Fuel curve is much more aggressive.

That crossfire setup you've got a lead on is a hot ticket and I'd buy it if you've got the coin to spare.

I've got my quadrajet so it's good for about 35. I'd like it if it could do a little better but oh well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:37 PM
BigUgly

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That crossfire setup you've got a lead on is a hot ticket and I'd buy it if you've got the coin to spare

[/ QUOTE ]
I can get either one for next to nothing. I can get a chip burned for me for either setup. But, the crossfire would go on the heads I have 2.02 camelbacks, the TBI would have to go one the 1.94 swirl heads from the Cop motor. I can do either, which one is better? I have a Comp Cams Xtrem4x4 cam in it. I think that the compression with the Camelbacks is about 10.25 to 1 I think that the swirlies have little chambers and the compression would rise to about 10.75 to 1. This is going in my "Lil Ug", which is a `62 CJ5. Thanks for the input,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

My choice would be to use the TBI heads (1987 - 1995) center bolt valve cover heads with the stock 1990 TBI intake manifold and 1990 TBI system. Usually the 1990 TBI system uses the very popular 7747 computer. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement