NP208 transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 11:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default NP208 transfer case

my transfer case keeps coming out of 2wd. I have no idea what is the cause. I adjusted the linkage again, and made sure everything was tight. Sometimes when I let the truck just coast at idle (automatic tranny) it will disengage. The lever doesn't really move. My thoughts at this time is that the chain has loosened up to the point losing the drive. I really don't know though.
any thoughts would be welcome.
thanks
CJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2002, 09:28 AM
AzzKicker

Default Re: NP208 transfer case

Its not the chain or you would here a massive rattle.

Its the fork inside transfercase. I believe its called the range selector fork. I've been told for around 100.00 you can get a nice rebuild kit for those transfer cases and makes them good as new.

I have a similar problem only mine pops out of 4Hi.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2002, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just rebuilt my 208 not too long ago on my 85 k20. I bought all the parts from www.drivetrain.com. They have very good prices and ship fast. I had a problem when i went to stop. It would pop into 4wd and neutral. It turned out I had a shift fork broken and the other fork was worn. It was very easy to rebuild. I have 3 chiltons manuals and a haynes. The haynes was the best manual. You can completely rebuild it while it's in the truck by just removing the back half of the case.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hrm ok, thanks guys.
I guess I get to definitly open it then.
Could someone tell me how much fluid I can expect to replace? Never opened up a transfer case...don't want to either but I don't want to put a pan under it when it needs a bucket.
Thanks
CJ
Old 09-24-2002, 02:41 PM
87sm465np208

they dont hold much, my np208 on my 87 short bed held 4 quarts of RED dextron 3, never put gear lube in them, that will not lube the chain and the small delicate gear sets in them. yea 4 quarts, just make sure you got your trusty 30mm socket so you can fill er back up and some rtv to seal that biatch back up compltely so it dont start leaking further down the road.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 quarts sounds about right. It says in the manual to fill it up till you can feel oil just under the fill hole. You will need some kind of a pump or some kind of a funnel cap so you can squeeze it into the fill hole. It's very hard to get a funnel up there to fill it without spilling half of it back on the ground. Also when you pull the case apart, pull it very gently. There are some washers and a needle bearing that will fall right off. I dropped the needle bearing on the concrete when i took mine apart and it broke. Other than that it is really easy to rebuild. It's easier if you have a buddy under there with you to hold the main shaft while you put everything back together. It gets kinda heavy holding it up there. Just giving you a little heads up before you rebuild it. I took mine apart and put it back together at least 6 times last week. I finally bought a haynes manual and solved most of my problems.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point

For the funnel I came accross something that works great. I was going through wal-mart picking up the lube for my diffs, and they had a funnel, with an 18" flex hose. It had a clear container at the top with a snap on sealed lid so you can turn it any which way and it won't leak. Then, it had a valve between the container and the hose. So, you can fill it, put the cap on, and do whatever you need to get it positioned, then just open the valve and fill the case. Not bad for $4.95[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-24-2002, 08:30 PM
tjayandlisa

pump...worth its weight in gold
Old 09-24-2002, 10:14 PM
87sm465np208

ok here is a super cheap super good way of doing that with the lube, and its the way i do it, for my dextron 3 bottles i put a gear lube tip on it, and then i shoved some hose i found laying around , bout 1\2 inch, and about 5 inches of it on there, it works great, fell off the first few times because i wasnt shoveing it on ther right, but it sits in the garage on a dextron 3 bottle, this also worked good when i did my trans lube on my sm-465, its a good cheap way, and best of all it works
Old 09-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

Drey is an unknown quantity at this point

i have this thing thats holds a 1/2 quart and is just a suction thing, with a flexible metal hose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement