Made in mexico engine blocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2002, 01:56 PM
Veteran

beaterchevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Made in mexico engine blocks

I'm trying to figure out what the new motor I have is.

Block is made in mexico (meche en ????) casting #3970010

Heads are 462624 also stamped 02 01??

Anyone know what the deal with these mexico blocks?? It's black in colour if that means anything??

Targetmaster??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2002, 11:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Made in mexico engine blocks

It's been several years, but as best I can remember, GM dealerships sold replacement engines called "Targetmater" from the late 80's to early 90's. The engines were made in Mexico, and as best I can remember were new engines not remanufactured. In the early 90's GM had several service bulletins about the cast iron quality of the Made in Mexico blocks. Not long after the service bulletins about the cast in Mexico blocks, GM dealerships started offering new "Goodwrench" engines. The 462624 head casting is a very light cast head, JUNK [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] in my personal opinion. I still like the cast in Mexico 993 heads. I'm not 100% positive, but I seem to remember the cast in Mexico 3970010 was a four bolt main 350 engine, that allowed the oil pan dipsick to be located on either side of the block. I seem to remember the oil pan was unique to the cast in Mexico block and actually had contours for an oil dipstick on both sides of the oil pan. It's my humble opinion, the engine should be OK, but check with your local GM dealership for the history on service bulletins to see if the engine serial number you have was subject to a recall.
dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the info dave. I'll check with the dealership this week.

I figured those heads were junk, as I think they are the same casting no as my 78 LT9 heads..

Looks like I got a rebuilt targetmaster then. Oh well works for me, it was a pretty cheap deal.

Any idea what sorta horsepower one could expect from a rebuilt targetmaster with those 624 heads?? the old LT9 which my truck had, and I think the donor truck had originaly was 175hp, I'm thinking I must have 190 or more with the new motor.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:19 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

It's "heche en Mexico".......[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

See, I did learn some Espanol in my 4 years in SoCal....[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]......

Sorry guys, late night and I'm feeling weird......
Old 07-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

The 624 heads are OK for mild performance, about 300 HP max. Usually the 624 head had 1.94" intake valve size, but some 624's had 2.02" intake valve size when used on the Corvette L-82 engine. If the price was right, and the machine shop did a good job on the remanufacturing, then the engine should give good factory type performance and reliable service.

If it were my engine, I might be tempted to change the camshaft with a camshaft offering slightly more performance. I'd use something like the mild Competition Cam Xtreme 4X4 cam. Usually changing the camshaft will void the warranty of a remanufactured engine, so you might check with the engine remanufacture before changing the camshaft. If you have plans of doing serious towing (more than 10,000 gross vehile weight, which includes the weight of truck and what ever is being towed) then your wasting your time with the light cast 624 heads. Towing can be real hard on an engine cooling system, and the 624 head was bad about cracking. I've seen several Camaro's of the late 70's early 80's that cracked 624 heads in stop and go driving with the air conditioner on during 90 - 100 degree weather.
dave
Old 07-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Dave:

Ok, sounds like those heads will work for me cause I never tow anything of substantial weight, and doubt I will ever try and get more than 300 Hp out of it. I believe it has the 1.94 valves.

The price was my gas money to go pick it up and swap it into my truck. The truck was a 79 heavy half with about 500,000km on it so I imagine the made in mexico crate was installed sometime in the eightier, and then rebuilt again a couple years ago (it has about 3000km on it now).

It was rebuilt by the local engine builder in a small farming town of about 1500 (if that) people where it seems everyone drives a bowtie so I would assume the mechanic to meet some sort of GM spec (all delco parts and whatnot as far as I can see)

Thanks for the tip on the cam, I was thinking about doing that when I get back home to my shop.. It seems to have a bit less low-end than my old motor as it stalls way easier when crawling over stuff in lo-lo..

Now a warrenty, I imagine since it sat for 3 years that's void anyways, but when/if I get the papers for this thing I'll see about the warrenty.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.