Starter won't disengage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Old Hand

shewheeler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter won\'t disengage

OK, why is it that every time I want to spend money on my truck to make it better, something breaks[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]?

My starter is doing this thing where it won't disengage. It keeps cranking even with the key off... hell, even with the key out of the ignition! A few whacks on the starter with a hammer made it stop, but not in time to save my battery cable. So, my mechanic friend says it's probably the starter, but possibly could be the ring gear(?). A friend's boyfriend says it's the ignition switch. What do y'all think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starter won\'t disengage

on a ranger i had i encountered the same problem. i solved it by putting a toggle switch in the ignition wire going to the solenoid. this worked well. if the starter did stay engaged i could flip the switch and then it would shut off. it also had the advantge of beinga theft deterrant. you can hotwire a truck that has a "open" ignition switch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean that with the key out it still cranking the engine as in trying to start it? Or is it just staying engaged and the motor itself is not powered? I would suspect the solenoid. Since it makes the electrical connection to the motor from the batt. and it engages the gears. Sounds like it's sticking out and when you hit it a few times it pops back. Could be a worn return spring.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Old Hand

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You mean that with the key out it still cranking the engine as in trying to start it?

<hr></blockquote> Yes.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:22 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

since banging on the starter with a hammer seemed to help, i'd go with the solenoid.

however, you can test it:

take the wire that comes from the ignition switch off the solenoid. use a wire straight from the battery to try to start it. if the problem continues, it's the solenoid. if it doesn't happen that way, then it's the switch.

Old 03-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, then it's most definately your starter solenoid. Just the point about banging on the starter stops it then that pretty much rules out the switch. Pickup a new solenoid and throw it on and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Old Hand

Sounds good... thanks for the info. We're gonna pull the starter tomorrow cause he wants to check out that ring gear thing and see if it's missing any teeth? I think I'll replace the starter anyways and throw on a heat shield... it seems to have more problems when it gets hot... I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again... you guys rock![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

u4ia4 is an unknown quantity at this point

for ~$7 you can get a ford solenoid and run a remote set up for it. thats what I'm goingt o do if/when my starter fails
Old 03-18-2002, 01:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Shaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Yeah, what u4ia4 said. The Furd solenoid is great, did it a couple years ago after an electric fan fiasco caused major heat soak that caused the original solenoid to fail. It would not work at all when warm and would do exactly what your truck is doing now when cold. The remote solenoid took care of it, but I went the easy way and bought the kit from Summit for about $15.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Old Hand

Ok, well, it's fixed (for the moment). The starter appeared to be fine, but it was loose and resting on the flange where the header connects to the pipe on that side -- doh! Not sure if this is going to be a long-term fix, but I've got high hopes[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks for all the suggestions... if this doesn't work, I'll definitely look into the remote solenoid(sp?) suggetion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement