44inch tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 44inch tires

yes i have a 87 chevy 4x4 sraight axle. fixing to put a 3inch body and 12inch suspension lift, 44inch tires, 4.56's gears in 1/2 ton axle and a custom high angle drive line 80 degrees. i was wondering if anyone had 44inch tires on a chevy truck like this with 1/2 ton axles i was wondering if these axles would last long with the 44inch tire any info on this would be helpful thank you!

thank u for any info

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2002, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 44inch tires

The answer is...... No. if you do anything other just than drive straight on dry pavement, never pushing the throttle past half way, your axles will grenade. guaranteed. Get a 60 front and Corp 14 rear. The 4.56's will be good enough if you have a stick, probably not with an auto.
Just my opinion.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Resurrection_Joe

The axles will die a horrible horrlble death, and you will piss your pants becuase of the vibrations from the stiff arse springs as you roll the thing over when you drive it because the thing is too damn rediculously tall.

Really, dont even consider 44's without at least a 14bff rear, and even then, don't if you have a half ton front.

Oh yeah, dont lift it that high, 8 inch + 3 inch + trimming, but dont even think about it becasue the axles will blow.

Oh well, all in all it's a bad idea. I don't want to cahnce 38's on my half ton front. But whatever works for you. If you do go ahead with it plan on spending ****loads of money on steering and driveshafts.

http://usor.topcities.com
Old 02-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point

Good GOD 15" of lift!!! On 10 bolts!!! AHHHHH!!! Your front axle will explode!!! Seriously, why do you want to lift that high? You can do cut out flares and 44's on like 10-11" like RJ said. The key is, as little lift as possible to fit as big as tire possible. My 10 bolt blew up with 35's. Don't even think about 44's on a poor little 10 bolt. I'm beefing up my dana 60 to handle 44's.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com
Old 02-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Comic Sans MS">As the others have stated *Do NOT* do that on 1/2 ton axles. Even for street use. Reason being if it goes out while you're driving (snap axleshaft in rear for example) it is a *very* serious safety issue. That 44" tire rollin' down the road could *kill* someone if moving fast enough.

Upgrade those to *at least* 1 ton axles (Dana 60 front and Corporate 14 bolt FF rear) before even pondering 44's.

I would go with a 6" suspension, 2" body and fender trimming. It *can* be done to look *very* good if you take your time and think it out, draw it out, get opinions, etc... Plus you'll have a suspension that actually flexes a little so you don't get a ride like an old covered wagon. With springs arched that much you might as well weld the axles right to the frame. Should ride about the same. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Plus that high angle driveline will cost a lot. Having some decent drive line angles (half the lift or so) could save some $$ in that department too.

***Edited below this line***
AHHHHHHHHH!!! I forgot the *MOST* important upgrade to run big tires... BRAKES!!! You need very beefy brakes to stop those meats. They not only weigh a ridiculous amount but a rotating mass *that* big will have a ridiculous amount of rotational inertia. It takes HUGE brakes to stop those in a reasonable distance. Before you even consider ANY of the other factors, figure out how you're going to get brakes on that rig that fit the bill outlined here FIRST...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
Old 02-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Old Hand

oletater is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh lord, lease don't attempt 44's with 1/2 ton axles.
Get you a Dana 60 front, Corporate 14 Bolt FF rear, and I'd go with 5.13's stick or auto. Try and find another source for lift, my buddy runs 44's on a 79 Ford and he got 3" out of spring hangers and shackles, all well designed, and his Ford, no crap, rides like a new truck. When he had his Boggers cut into a round, it rode like a dream. His truck flexes reeeal good and goes anywhere. I would do like Rj said and try 8" suspension, National Springs, 1" ORD Body Lift, 2" other lift this is just me, I despise body lifts). You can get 2" of other lift out of shackles, mounts, add-a-leaf. Tons of ways. I have seen show trucks with 22 inches of lift and running 44's on 1/2 ton axles, with fancy paint and all. Just look in a Dupont Registry, I am pretty sure thats where I found it. It was ridiculous, pure show, they built it to drive onto the trailer, and back off. Now if that is what your wanting, by all means there is no need to waste 1 ton on a show grounds princess. But if you are wanting a tough, well built truck and you want 44's, try and do it with as little lift as possible, don't be afraid to trim the fenders a tad in the long run it looks better I think. Function over Frill.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is gonna be my set up real soon.
I already have a FF and a D44 front but I am getting a D60 real soon, I have an 8" lift front and rear springs and am gonna do shackle flip and a set of custom hangers in the front for a total of 12"
Then a set of 42's and now I am seriously thinking of 44's.
My buddy is going with this set up except he has 12" springs. That's right 16" of lift, it's a 73 K5 with a 454 and 6:17 gears.
It's got 33's on it for the moment but real soon it will have 44's.
If everything goes according to plan I will have a 78 4 door K30 in the driveway real soon. swap out the D60 for the D44 and the ol lady will have a 4x4 to drive the kids in and then sell the burb.

78 K5 3/4 ton, 305, SM465/NP205, 33x12.5 EXT's.
No lift yet.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Old Hand

oletater is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds cool, I am wating to build a SWB Chevy 4x4 with 1 ton axles and 44's. I want it to sit like this truck. This is a Ford, but it sits perfect as far as I'm concerned. He is running 44" Boggers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75-691603-greg003.jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

it'll last a while as long as you don't horse around with it.

if you deburr (looky, i just made a new word) it and run a minispool with it it'll last longer. chances are you'll bust some teeth off the ring gear before you'll break anything else (or at least to my knowledge).

try it, if it breaks, tell us how you broke it. just make sure you've got a couple hundrd bucks laying around for a 14 bolt.

"The difference between a yooper and a lowper is that a yooper oil change involves just changing the filter whereas a lowper oil change involves just changing the oil."
Old 02-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point

damn that ford looks more badass every time i see it!

Why do you want 44's anyway? If you're just building a street truck fine, but if you think the 44's will get you far in the mud you are wrong, unless you have a MEGA MOTOR. You'd be much better off with 38x12.5's that you could actually get spinning, unless you're driving in skidder ruts and you just need the height, but 38's and some momentum would do you good there too. 44's take a truck to a whole new level, you must address the power needed to turn them, axles to hold them, steering to steer them (44's can bust a sector shaft easy), and as mentioned earlier, brakes (for sure or you'll kill somebody). The most successful trucks at the local mud races are not sporting 44's, they are running 38.5x11 Boggers running LOTS of horsepower. that's the winning combo. there are guys with 44's and they are SLOW but sometimes make it depending on how bad the ruts are. good luck.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement