Blazer's best year - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2002, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Blazer\'s best year

I am planning on getting an older blazer (72-85 about) and was wondering what years were the best?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2002, 01:55 AM
Veteran

JaxZ71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blazer\'s best year

Maybe a '91 would work for you. Soild axle and FI, best of both worlds.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2002, 02:28 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

TxFireman is an unknown quantity at this point

The 700r4 was improved somewhere around 83 or so. Older Blazers (73-82 or so) came with the 12 bolt rearend. That would apply to the even older models as well I believe. Somewhere around 83/84 they switched to 10 bolt rearends. If it was me, I would try for a late 80's early 90's. One, for the FI, and the fact that it proably has less miles. Then I would upgrade the axles as I went. Not sure if the years I mentioned before apply, but early models also came with a dana 44 up front....corp. 10 bolt later on. One thing to watch for in the mid 80's models is that a lot of them have 305 ci, 3:08 gears. I would shy away, unless it is just a really good deal. If you can find something better then go that route...your proabaly gonna want more power than the 305, and if you lift it, your REALLY gonna want better gears than the 3:08's.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1972. 12 Bolt rear, D44 front, NP205, Option of 4 speed or TH350. Full removable top. plus the coolest looking, even though possibly not the most practical.

1986Chev 1-1/4 Ton, D60/14FF/4.56 gears/400/SM465/NP205/13" Lift, 46"x19" Firestone Field and Roads
Old 02-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Journeyman

just_jr is an unknown quantity at this point

With me owning a '72 you can expect me to say the 1st gen is the best. In all reality, just about any blazer you find out there will be fairly capable off road. If you're gonna be doing any hard core wheel'n in a stock 1/2 ton you can expect some breakage.
The only Blazers I would think to shy away from are the late 80's models. Like TxFireman said, they try to sneak a 305 in there on ya, but also GM started putting 28 and 30 spline axles in the 10 bolts as well. It can get costly if you unknowingly pick up a truck with a 28 spline axle and decide to strengthen it up.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is kind of a subjective question. Here goes......

67-72 blazer.....obviously the older body style. Fully removable top. Most have a 12 bolt rear and dana 44 front.

73-76 Same body lines as a 73-81 Chevy truck. Full removable top. Again most have 12 bolt and dana 44.

77-81 Same body lines as a 73-81 Chevy truck. Removable top from the cab back. 12 bolt and dana 44. Alot of these Blazers had the NP203 (fulltime 4WD) transfer case. This is easily converted to part time. look for the lack of locking hubs to identify a non-converted NP203 equipped Blazer. Subtle changes in the grille/head lights.

82-91 Third generation body style. These years had the horizontal front parking light as opposed to the vertical light found on 73-81. Chevy started putting 10 bolts in the front and rear. Not sure of the year they started with the TH700R4, but pre-1987, there were alot of problems with the 700R4. 87-91 had TBI and the newer center-bolt heads on the 5.7 liter. 89-91 has the most desirable front clip.

http://http:/moabdadc22.alloffroad.com
Old 02-27-2002, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

74-76. Fully removable tops are great!! You can even find, or make, a soft top for them. The body pannels are very common, and cheap to buy. Just make sure you find one with a 205 x-fer.

J-ust
E-nough
E-ssential
P-arts
Old 02-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

A1980GMC is an unknown quantity at this point

73 - 75 Blazers were fully convertable 76's were not.

73 - 80 Blazers and trucks had the same body lines. Chevy changed the hood and fenders in all 81's

Laters, Ryan

1999 Suburban 6.5" Cepek Lift and 3" Body lift, 37x12.5x15 SSR's
Old 02-27-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are looking for something that will have to serve as a daily driver, than I would recommend the '90-'91 years. They have the fuel injected 350 and the 700r4, and seem to be the most comfortable daily drivers.

The 700r4 came out around '83 or so I believe, and did have a bad reputation at first. GM continually make improvements to the 700r4 and it really started getting better around '87 or '88. My '90 with the 700r4 has over 110,000 miles on it with quite a few off-road trips and it still works great. My dad has had several GM trucks for work starting from '88 on with 700r4's that all had at least 120k miles on them and no tranny problems.

The fuel injected engines started in '87. The f.i. 350 runs a LOT better than the earlier engines and were rated at 40-50 horsepower more than the carburated versions. The early to mid-80's engines in the Blazers suffered from choking emission equipment when the feds started cracking down (just like most vehicles of that time period). A lot of K5's during this time also had the anemic 305 and super high gears (2.73, 3.08's ,etc..) which made for pretty dismal performance.

I really like the 1st generation Blazers with the full removable tops, but they just are not as comfortable on the road. Plus they are at least 30 years old so finding one in decent shape is tough, and their value is greatly increasing.

6.2Blazer
Old 02-27-2002, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have an 89 k-5 stick, my dad uses it as a daily driver well most of the days. i am going to try to post a pic for u, i hope it works... my first time trying it.

security is mostly a superstition. it does not exist in nature. life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75-701399-beast.jpg (10.0 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement