Dana 60 gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2002, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Dana 60 gears

Anyone know if ring and pinion and yokes are interchangeable between rear Ford or Dodge Dana 60's and Chevy front Dana 60's? I would like to swap on a yoke from one of these rear ends since I could run a larger U joint at that point (currently my weak link). Also, if I knew the ring and pinion were the same it would be much cheaper to replace, since these rear ends are all over the place and the Front 60 are rare.

1986Chev 1-1/4 Ton, D60/14FF/4.56 gears/400/SM465/NP205/13" Lift, 46"x19" Firestone Field and Roads
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2002, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Dana 60 gears

I should probably just shut up, seem to have part-thymerz disease today, but I seem to recall that the front end has a reverse rotation...are the gears cut the oposite way? No help here, just another question!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dana 60 gears

Reverse Cut vs. Standard Cut

Perhaps the single most
misunderstood axle term is reverse
cut, often mistakenly referred to as
reverse rotation. A reverse cut
housing is not a standard cut housing
turned upside down, it is a specially
designed housing. The term "reverse
cut" refers to the direction of the
spiral cut in the ring gear, which is
opposite that of a standard cut ring gear: Contrary to popular belief, it does not run backwards or in
reverse. The principle behind a reverse cut is to strengthen the operation of the gear when it is used for a
front driving axle application.

Hi-pinion or reverse-cut axles have also become very popular as rear driving axles in short wheelbase
vehicles with suspension lifts because the higher pinion improves drive line angles so well. Dynatrac was
among the first to pioneer this application and continues to offer the very best and strongest Hi-pinion axles
available anywhere.

Standard-cut axles are often used as the front driving axles because of clearance issues, gear ratio
availability, cost, or suspension considerations. However comparable reverse-cut axles have the distinct
advantage of overall ring and pinion gear strength.

Reverse-cut axles should be used in the rear when higher ground clearance, reduced drive shaft angles or
short wheelbase are desirable issues. Reverse-cut rear axles should be avoided for heavy GVW vehicles or
heavy highway towing. Dynatrac has thoroughly tested Dana 44 reverse-cut, and Ford 8.8 reverse-cut, rear
axles and found them to be weak and prone to failure in all but the very, very lightest duty applications. We
can only recommend Dynatracís proven Dana 60 reverse-cut design as unquestionably dependable even
under adverse situations.

The gear sets used in each type of axle are not interchangeable: Standard cut gears cannot be used in place
of reverse cut, and vice versa. The housings, which have different lubrication passages, are also not
interchangeable. However, differential cases (open, l/s, or locker) are compatible with both styles, as long
as case spline count matches the axle shaft.

thats from the dynatrac web site

Evan

trucks suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement