6 to 8 lug conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 6 to 8 lug conversion

Call me cheap but I can't afford a Dana60 frt. just yet so I'm looking at the possability of converting my 6 lug hub on my 10 bolt frt. to a 8 lug.(at least I'll get the 14 bolt on the rear) What is involved with this swap ?, Cost ? etc... Or, would I be better off just changing the 8 lug on the 14 bolt to a 6 lug ? (that would keep my cost down by not requiring me to buy new wheels). Tell me the PRO's and CON's of both options. Thanks for any help.

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2001, 08:55 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6 to 8 lug conversion

check this out: http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2001, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

info
more info

Old 11-17-2001, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good job Powermad! One slight mistake though...... We will give ya this one though! Not all D44's have the "infamous flat top knuckle" I had to buy one for mine, as it didn't have it. It is out of a '75 1 ton. Don't know if this make a difference or not?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1t SWB in the making!
Old 11-17-2001, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh my God, my cup runith over with info. Thanks guys but what about the other option ? 14bolt to a 6 lug. (powermad, outstanding effort !!! Thanks !)

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Old 11-17-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oops...... I apologise deeply, Shorts! Please forgive me!........Thanks, Mike

Old 11-17-2001, 11:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

Converting a 14FF to 6 lug IS possible, but it's kinda expensive and not to realistic of a choice considering you can get a working 14FF for $150 most places. I know 4WPW in Arizona was doing a conversion where they basically milled down the hub a little so the 6x5.5" pattern would fit. It was expensive though, like $1000 or more. Guy on CK5.com had one. Other than that ORU makes a 6 lug 14FF, but it's no longer a FF, it's been turned into a Semi-Floater, one of the mags did a review of it a while back, and ORU wanted like $3000 for one. No thanks. Cheapest option is just put that 14FF in, leave it 8 lug, convert your 10 bolt over to 8 lug, and start looking for a D60 front.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Old 11-18-2001, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would think that going to a 6 lug on the 14 would take away from the intended strength of the axle or at least deminish its capabilities. But then again, the 14 is going under a 1/2 ton. While I'm here let me ask this, Who sells a disk brake kit for a 14b rear ? and what do they normally cost ?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Old 11-18-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ORU has a over priced kit. Check the small ads in the back of Fourwheeler & 4Wheel & Offroad, there is a place called TSM/ 4321 WillowCreek Rd. #4/Castle Rock, CO. 80104-9766 (303) 688-6882, that lists a rear disc brake conversion starting at 239.95. That is much cheaper than ORU's $899 (I don't think ORU is reasonable priced on anything!)

Old 11-18-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Donovan from CK5 is converting 8 lug FF's to 6 lug.
You send him your hubs and he does all the machine work to them.
There is also a couple of members there that are making disk brake brakets for a FF.
45 acp is making some for $100 and all the hardware. I believe that includes shipping also.
here is a list of stuff that scoobydan used to convert his.

disk brake brackets by misfit $65
2 1975 3/4 ton dana 44 rotors at autozone @ $35 each
2 1975 regular dana 44 calipers (free) but cost $12.99 at autozone w/ core
2 1975 front rubber lines $21.99 each
1 new hard line $2 (old line kept splitting when trying to flare)
1975 dana 44 brake pads $10
new bushings and sleves for where the cliper bolts go $4
2 sets of caliper bolts $5 each
2 new banjo bolts $2.50 each
8 bolts to hold bracket $.50
8 nuts behind bolts $.50
8 lockwashers $.25
brake fluid $3
2 seals $2.50
This set up will leave you with no e-brake but Jesse at highangle drive line has just put out an e-brake that mounts to an NP 205. But you have to use the cv shaft that he has also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement