OT, 25.06 caliber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2001, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT, 25.06 caliber

Im just wondering if anyones had any experince with the 25.06 caliber, Im kinda half heartly looking into getting one, but havent heard much about the 25.06 but have heard lots about the 30.06 maybe this is why its catching my eye.
cause its similar to the 30.06 but still diffrent.
sorry for another post that off topic

Evan

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2001, 02:55 PM
muddfred

Default Re: OT, 25.06 caliber

The .25-06 is the same case as a .30-06 round but the case is necked down to .25 caliber instead of .30 caliber. It has higher velocity with a little less energy. It also has a little less recoil than the .30-06. It can do almost everything the .30-06 can except at long ranges it does a little less.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2001, 03:06 PM
Veteran

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point

I would much rather go with the good old .270 or a 6mm Rem Mag if I was choising one of the .25 calibers. What are you looking to hunt with it anyway? that will give me a better idea of what caliber you should chose.

Ryan

1997 GMC 1-Ton Crew-Cab Dualie 4x4 with a 6.5TD
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Old 10-31-2001, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The experience I have had w/ the .25-06 is its loud but damages little meat. It should be OK for whitetails though as alot of people here have gone to the .243. Good luck. My favorite rifle caliber is the .308, pistol is .45 LC. Both get the job done well.

'79 K5 Blazer w/350 Goodwrench crate, 33x12.5 Dick Cepek MC-IIs
Old 10-31-2001, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Both the 270 and the 25.06 are necked down 30.06 cases. A lot of cartridges have started with the 30.06 case. I think I remember reading that the main reason for that is because of the large amount of military brass available when the army used the 30.06. The 25.06 is faster traveling and shoots a little flatter than the 30.06 because of the extra weight and diameter of the 30 caliber bullet. On the downside, at longer ranges the lighter bullet looses velocity faster and is more affected by a cross wind. I know that seems to be just opposite of what would happen but its not. If you want to learn about the different calibers and the characteristics of each I would buy a reloading manual. It gives you a lot of good information on tradjectory and bullet speeds. Personally I like the 30.06 but the 25.06's I have seen shoot did an excellent job. It all really depends on what you want to use the gun for. In my opinion the 25.06 is an excellent all purpose rifle. Its good for everything from varmit hunting all the way up to medium sized game ( deer, antelope, etc.). I dont think I would want to hunt any dangerous game with it though. I want something for that with a little more knock down power. I dont want them to get back up and chase me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].

Real cowboys stay in the saddle longer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2001, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

.243 or 6mm are real good choices on the prairie. 30-06 is a good choice in the brush, or even the .308 Winchester is good too......

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1t SWB in the making!
Old 10-31-2001, 06:40 PM
RolngThun

I happen to like the 25-06 alot. It shoots very flat. I also like my 270 weatherby.

Old 10-31-2001, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

lifted95z71 is an unknown quantity at this point

also if you are planning to hunt with this, one thing to consider is availability of ammo. while your in the city you can get 25-06 ammo all day with no problem. once you get out toward the hunting camp and realize you left your ammo at home and need to stop off at larry bob dwights guns tackle and car parts your likely not going to fing any 25-06. i rememember my bud paying $37.00 for the only box of .300 weatherby mag(?) ammo at some backwoods hardware store. this is one of the reasons i like to stick with the most popular calibers. if he had just had 30/30, 30.06, .270, or the like, he could have easily just borrowed a few bullets from one of us or someone on the lease.
if your worried about recoil go with something like a .270 or even a 30/30 if you dont have to shoot to far.

Korans make excelent toilet paper.
Dont stand around to long i'll probably offend you.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

when I posted this I was just curios about the caliber and what kinda of experince youve all had with it, then I wasnt looking any .06 just interested, but then a couple days later I walked in the gunshop and wouldnt ya know they got this sweet 30.06 topped with a bushnell 3-9x40, ya its a ruger its the stanles synthetic I beam stock. it had a sticker price of 350 and i walked out the door with it after paying 300 and got the guy to throw a couple boxes of shells.
oh this gun was bought by a dumbass this year just for this season, then he dumped it off at the gunshop when he was done. I happen to walk in the day it hit the shelf

now its gona be a toss up between it and my 270 when the next hunting season rolls around i guess I could use the .06 for elk and the 270 for the muleys, Ill pack em both up though incase I brake a scope or something, wich Im known to do.
havent even put a shell trough it yet

thankx for all opions on the .06s Im still intigued my the 25.06

thankx
Evan

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
Old 11-01-2001, 04:01 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>.25-06 is fine for deer & antelope, but that's about it. You being from Idaho, I'd think maybe elk were on the menu. If you don't "plan" on elk, I'd still suggest a .270 or .280. Will give a little more knockdown on a big mulie, and either will buck the wind just a bit better. Plus, if you do decide on elk later, you'll be better equipped. If you're already thinkin' elk, then by all means go with the .30-06.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement