'98 Z71 Fuel Filter. Where?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2001, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default \'98 Z71 Fuel Filter. Where??

Sorry for the exceptionally lame post. My truck has 35K miles and, other than a routine oil change, I have not performed any additional work on 'er. So...I haven't invested in a manual at this point. I realize I need to change the fuel filter but I'm not exactly sure where it is. Can some here help me?

1) Where is it, and
2) Any tips I should know before I get started?

It's a 1998 Z71 with the 350 Vortec

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2001, 08:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: \'98 Z71 Fuel Filter. Where??

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Might want to look on the inside of the drivers side frame rail. It should be apparent where the filter is, as it's threaded into the fuel line... I'm not familiar with that new of a vehicle but a few years older model had it there... Can't see a reason they'd want to change that...</font>

Tim "Sandman"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2001, 11:34 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \'98 Z71 Fuel Filter. Where??

what tim said...

to change it, just get two wrenches, a couple rags, and a pan...

- undo the front nut first...be ready, cause there will be some gas trickling from the fuel line...that's what the pan or rags are for....
now undo the rear nut of the filter...again, watch for fuel.

- there is a clamp the holds the filter against the frame rail...held on by either bolts or screws...undo those. take the filter off...put in the new one and put everything back together.

when you go to start the truck, turn the key but don't turn the engine over(kinda like startin a diesel)...let the fuel pump prime the system again - maybe 10 seconds or so... then start it up.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>
Old 10-21-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Nice...Thanks Guys! (nm)

nm

Old 10-21-2001, 06:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nice...Thanks Guys! (nm)

changed mine twice ans never have been able to avoid geting gas on me

ya its iside the frame rail

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
Old 10-22-2001, 12:42 AM
BigBlueZ71

Default Re: Nice...Thanks Guys! (nm)

yeah, its inevitable that you'll get gas on you. so weare goggles or something it'll drip and run down the frame and just make a mess, stuff a rag on the frame rail behind the filter. I put my truck up on ramps when I did this thinking maybe that would keep gas from totally pouring out of the line. dont think it did anything but let gas run down the frame and get everything wet. Anyway, you can just disconnect the two fuel lines, very simple and then instead of messing with the clamp, just kinda move one of the lines out of the way a little bit and just slide the filter on out of the bracket, then slide the new one in and reconnect the lines. SUPER EASY

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71, not enough room here to list mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement