Torsion bar removal on Chevy Trucks - Question.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Torsion bar removal on Chevy Trucks - Question..

I am going to upgrade the stock torsion bars on my tahoe to the 2500 series bars. Anyone have experience with removing these bars? I heard about getting the torsion-bar removal tool made by GM (part # J36202). Should I buy this tool and do it myself, or just take it to a shop and get it done? How much is the tool? Thanks.

Kyle

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2001, 09:35 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Torsion bar removal on Chevy Trucks - Question..

buy the tool (if it isn't too much)
Mark the threads on the t-bar adjusting bolts
use the tool to unload the T-bars
slide T-bar cam cross member back
R&R T-bars
Reverse the whole process

I don't see why you should pay a shop to do it. If the tool is too much for you, you've got 2 choices. #1 take it to a shop, #2 use a (and I'm gonna get chewed for this) big C clamp. I don't recommend the C clamp b/c it is dangerous, but it does work well on the side of the trail after breaking a T-bar (I had to do it).

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default just found it on etool.com for $85 :( ..more

So I guess I will try to borrow one from my mechanic or get it done at the $TEALER. Oh well.

Kyle

Old 09-23-2001, 09:55 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just found it on etool.com for $85 :( ..more

I just thought of this. AutoZone rents out almost any kind of puller/pusher/unloader you can think of. I've seen some of their specialty tools go for $15 to $65, you get to keep it for 48 hours and if you return it on time you get ALL of your money back! They may not have one but it's worth a try if your mechanic won't let you borrow it.

Old 09-23-2001, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wish any of the auto motive places here had one. They have everything to rent out but the Torsion Bar Removal tool. In a thread somewhere here or on another site, I don't remember, a dude wrote about how to do it without the tool. I purchased the tool when I lifted my truck for about $115 from the dealer and used it once. If you loved near Baton Rouge, La I would loan it to you.

---Low Riders are for Guys who can't get it Up!!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:34 PM
Drew K1500

Actually the Chiltons manual says to use a good c clamp. Yes these T-bars are under pressure but its not like they have enough pressure to launch a cow to the moon. I have actually removed mine with a clamp.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

Old 09-24-2001, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would you trust a C-Clamp? If so, what kind did you use (size.)? Any special technique? Ive seen a pic of the torsion bar tool, and it does resemble a c-clamp. How would you tighten it down? (the gm tool has a socket bolt on one end allowing you to crank it with a wrench) Lemme know the process you used to completely remove the t-bars. Thanks..

Kyle

Old 09-24-2001, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What does swapping t-bars do for the front end???

Old 09-24-2001, 02:26 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

Putting in a higher rated torsion bar means you can crank the front up more without getting a bad ride or loosing as much travel up front. You still have to worry about CV joint angles, but the front end won't take as much damage this way.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Old 09-24-2001, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you change to a new set of torsion bars, you do not need to count, or mark the treads( because the new bars will be set different then the old ones) and as far as getting then out. It is very easy to do.

You will need a hyd. jack,Floor jack, and jack stands. Take the set bolts out(all the way out.) Raise the front of the truck(one side at a time is fine) Place a jack under the tensioner on the side that is raised( you may need a block to raise the jack high enough) Place one of the set bolts(the ones you removed from the torsion bar tensioner) head side on the jack, Line it up as you raise the jack with the indentation on the tensioner. Very slowly jack it up until you take all the tension off the torsion bar. Remove the small block and lower the jack. Now remove the torsion bar by driving it forward and removing the tensioner. It is very simple(just use a little common sense) and as always be careful. Good luck and save that $85 for something you can use more then once.

Hope you can understand my directions!

Mike

Do what you have to, just get it up! CHEVY 4x4`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement