2 wheel drive cab on 4 wheel drive frame? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2001, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 2 wheel drive cab on 4 wheel drive frame?

Does anyone know if I take the cab from a 2 wheel drive dually crewcab (1973-1991), and put it on a 4 wheel drive single rear wheel crewcab frame(1987), will I have to change the transmission tunnel area?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2001, 07:13 PM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 wheel drive cab on 4 wheel drive frame?

I beleive the only complication would be the hole for the transfer case shifter. I'm not 100% certain though.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2001, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea im pretty sure the bodys including cabs are the same on 2wd & 4wd

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2001, 12:11 AM
Zooman

I put a 2 wheel drive cab on my truck and I only had to cut a hole for the tranfercase shifter. But I also have a 3 inch body lift.

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>

Old 09-08-2001, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did sort of the same type of project. I took an 1987 2wd Burban and put it on a 4x4 frame. I did put in a SM465 4spd. I did have to cut around the top of the tower because the floor pan in a 2wd is lower, however, at the rear of the floorpan, it was raised enough to clear my T-case (np205) and shifter. I put a 1 inch spacer between my Crossmembers and Frame to drop it a little and give more room between the body and the frame, but it should work. Should go in perfectly if you've got an Automatic.

Old 09-08-2001, 01:22 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

TxFireman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the tranny hump on the floor board is actually removable is it not? I may be wrong, but i thought it was like an upside down oil pan, and that it could be removed. I would think this would be the case as I'm sure GM would save a lot of dough if they only made one cab and put this in seperatly depending on wheter or not it was 2 or 4 wheel drive. If it is removable then it should be easy, take out the newer hump and reuse your old one if it is in good shape. RC

Old 09-09-2001, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't believe it is removable (unless you consider having to cut it out "removable") as I did a similar thing when I put a 78 2wd cab on a 78 4wd (regular cabs). I had to cut out the taller "hump" from a 78 4wd cab and weld it into the 2wd cab.

Old 09-09-2001, 08:52 AM
RolngThun

I have done it. The hump is different. But is easy enough to modify. If you have a body lift things do go alot easier.

Old 09-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Pooh-Bah

Yukon97 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you can do it because the bodies match up. Body lifts would help the process a little more. If you do this, leave some pics cause i would like to see how it went

97 Yukon. Intake, All-Terrains, Lift is coming, more to come!!!
Old 09-09-2001, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll have to go to and autowrecker if the cab didn't have a 4 speed manual. And pick up the bolt on pan that goes over the top of the shifter plate. Drill some holes and use self tappers. I'd recommend some body lift to give you some room, for doing clutches and other work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement