Radiator in bed... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Radiator in bed...

At the bog this weekend i had my fan blade cut my radiator up pretty good. I seen a few trucks with the radiators mounted in the bed. I was told that electric fans dont cool real well. But these guys run like 500+ HP. I was unable to ask any questons because i was busy getting my truck on the wrecker . Can someone who has done this explain to me what is all involved and what do you use to run the hoses back there PVC pipe?

Thanks,
Ryan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2001, 08:37 PM
Family Left Me

willyswanter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Radiator in bed...

I too am intersted in this as well. I think FrankP has done it but I may be wrong?

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope not yet. I posted looking for info. The pipe should be metal from front to back. Universal flex hose to metal pipe on both ends, leave stock fan on motor,electrics with shroud in bed. Upgraded hi-flow water pump. That was my plan till I lost my job Friday. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:50 PM
Family Left Me

Was this the Semiconductor job? If so, if you don't mind me asking, what happened? Didn't have to do with you always looking at the board did it?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Sorry to hear that man, my dad was fired at a job he loved about 5 months ago because of a rumor that a fellow coworker started about him because he was next inline for the assistant manager and she was behind him, so if he got fired then boom it was hers[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Jason
Big Willy Style
Old 08-12-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, laid off. Typical semiconductor downturn. I looked at the board at work all the time because I had no work to do. I can be recalled up to 3 years from now, not holding my breath. http://www.ibew2000.com click on news letter and you can read what happend. Company is in deep poop. I was a process analyst.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:16 PM
Family Left Me

I saw that they laid 18 Process Analysts off, how many were there? Anyway, guess we should get this post back on topic. On the Willys, I was considering running a full size truck 4 core raditor under the middle of the body between the frame rails with 2 fans and a shroud with a scoop that scoops air from under the thing and sends it in through the top and the fans suck it out the bottom. With some kind of loovers to keep mud and such out. What exact type of tubing? Can't use a nylon braided vinyl? I saw this used on some baja trucks. Run would be like 7 feet. May go with braided steel but that can get pricey for me.

Jason
Big Willy Style
Old 08-12-2001, 10:29 PM
Veteran

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the mud races a few days ago here in oklahoma, anyway there were several guys that did the "radiator relocation" thing. One guy said he used rubber and wishes he hadn't done it. 3 others said that they had an exhaust shop bend and weld up some 2" or 21/4" (can't remember) alumnized pipe to where they wanted the water to go (and then back). One of the three guys I talked to had 2 radiators. a 4 core in the stock location and another in the back bolted (via custom brackets) to the frame tubing in his floorless bed. The one question I forgot to ask is: Will a stock water pump flow well enough to put up with the added distance the water has to travel?

Old 08-12-2001, 11:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

desertrat67 is an unknown quantity at this point

The distance shouldn't be a problem. Having to move more water might be a problem though. a high flow water pump might be needed.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:00 AM
Family Left Me

You said keep the fan on the engine? I can't keep the fan on the engine, pesky 3" blower belt in the way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. So, I was going to run a race electric water pump that is high flow. Is my engine block itself going to overheat without the fan blowing on it? I can put a huge electric fan in front of the engine where the radiator would have been and run that, would that work?

Jason
Big Willy Style
Old 08-13-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My post was all theory. I would keep my fan just to keep engine bay cool. I dont think it would do crap to cool motor. I was thinking about meatl pipe inside lager diameter metal pipe. To insulate water flow and protect the pipe beter. Plus I could weld hangers to outer pipe without comprimising water pipe.
again just thinking how I would do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement