'96 Tahoe Rearend... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2001, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default \'96 Tahoe Rearend...

Hey all,

I have 100K miles on my '96 4x4 Tahoe. Yeah, I know, Holy Sh!t.

My question is my whole rearend is going... don't know how much longer it will last me. Chevy Dealer wants $1300 to fix it with new. Are there any options or upgrades offered for this year/model that I could get? If so, price/place/time/websites, etc. Thanks in Advance!

Mark

- - - - - - - - -
The_Corbinator
'76 FJ40 (Killin' Me)
'70 2002 (Helping Me Survive)
'56 Bel Air (Garaged)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2001, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: \'96 Tahoe Rearend...

I'll tell you this, don't take it to a dealer to be fixed. They rape you on Parts and Labor. If you had a buddy that knows how to set up rear ends you could put all new bearings and a gear set in there for easily less than 500 bucks. for 1300 you could prolly throw a locker in there too!

Good Luck,
Ryan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2001, 05:34 PM
Veteran

298GMC is an unknown quantity at this point

<font color=blue>For that much money you could get a mcuh stronger, 14 Bolt rear end, Re-build it, just about however you want it, And of course end up with a much stronger rear!! I have to say though 100k on a 96 is nothing! My dad owns a 96 1 ton Crew cab truck, And it has 125-128k on it I think, It's on it's second engine though[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], The original 6.5 Diesel blew at 103k just after the warrenty ended[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Anyway I'm just running my mouth now, Laterz. And post back if you have any questions about the 14 Bolt swap, And someone can supply more info if you're interested.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
Old 07-19-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Thanks for the quick replys!

I don't think I know enough, or have the tools myself to do this project. I'm sure if any of my buddies around here do either.

I'm VERY interested in any and all informations on upgrades to this, like the 14bolt you mentioned 298GMC. That'd be great if you could get me what you can so if I call someone about all this, I sorta sound like I know what I'm getting into. Even if the price is the same, hey, it's an upgrade right?!

Thanks again!

Mark

- - - - - - - - -
The_Corbinator
'76 FJ40 (Killin' Me)
'70 2002 (Helping Me Survive)
'56 Bel Air (Garaged)
Old 07-19-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, if it were me, I'd go get a 6 lug SF 14 bolt. You'd come out with stronger hardware[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] and you could save yourself some dough[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Veteran

298GMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thanks for the quick replys!

<font color=blue>Well here we go. To have a direct bolt on rear, You'd need a 14 Bolt Semi Floater, From a 88-99 light duty 3/4 ton truck. If you get one from one of those trucks, It will have the 6 lug bolt pattern, So you won't have too worry about changeing the front bolt pattern too match the front[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. And it will bolt right up too your truck, Without moveing the spring perches![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And if you found one with the same gear ratio, As your front, You'd be in high gear! The only stronger axle out there whould be the 14 bolt Full Floater, It is stronger than the Semi floater, Butt you'd have too move the spring perchs, And they aren't avalable in 6 lug, So you'd spend more too make everything work. The Semi floater will handle up too about 36-38 inch tires, If you ever planned too lift it, But you really shouldn't run tires that big on the IFS front anyway.
Hope this helps.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
Old 07-20-2001, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mark - 298 is right, but first, look at your rear end and count the bolts on the cover. if it has 14 then you are in luck! some 1/2 tons came with this rear end from factory. also - b/c of this it can be found in some 1/2 tons not ONLY 3/4 tons! first thing you should do is call around to local junkyards and ask for a "14 bolt semi floating 6 bolt rearend from an 88-up gm truck". from a junkyard you prob will pay around $100-150 for the rearend. then you can take it to a shop and have them rebuild it for maybe $500 (maybe lower i dunno) and have a like brand new rear end. look in your glove box though and find out what your gear ratio is (i will do a search in a sec and find the codes for you) b/c you MUST find a rear end with matching ratio or you will have to put in new gears ($200).

EDIT -- ok, heres the codes, 95% chance they are either 3.42s or 3.73s:
GU4 - 3.08, GU5 - 3.23, GU6 - 3.42, GT4 - 3.73, GT4 - 4.10, HC4 - 4.56
G80 - Posi, limited slip rear end

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2001, 01:42 AM
Mud in my Veins

AJMBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also get the 6 lug 14SF out of certain 88 and up 1/2 tons. If you can, check the glove box codes for <font color=red>F44</font color=red>, that's the code for the 6 lug 14SF rear axle.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2001, 02:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OR.... Call Boyce equipment and tell them your story, they could ship a rebuilt axle to your home town shop of choice and they could put it in. likely $1300 but you would get a stronger axle.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:38 AM

Shorts is on a distinguished road

or currie enterprise or dynatrac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement