GM white paint defect? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Chevy and GM > GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's

GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2001, 09:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

muddybronco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GM white paint defect?

Is there a recall on this white paint that I see chipping off all of GM's trucks? My friend's family has a ~92 W/T cheyenne and it's chipped off quite a bit on the quarter panel and bed. Just wondering, cuz I see it EVERYWHERE. I think JEEP recalled some paint in the late 80's, so I guess this ain't the first time for such a thing to happen.

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2001, 09:20 PM
Veteran

JaxZ71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GM white paint defect?

GM had some sort of "Silent Recall" about paint in the early 90's. Apparently you had to go complain long and loud, but if you kept at it they would repaint it.

I know that silver was the worst, my 91 S-10 and a neighbor's 90something van both had silver paint problems. I don't know if white was one of the colors, but if silver was a problem, it doesn't seem like white is too far off.

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

white is normally the color that doesnt peel or chip, but I wouldnt doubt it if GM did recall the paint, they had problems with there primer and sealer so the paint wouldnt last very long.
MKJy 89s paint was recalled but it was under 60k that you could get it painted for nothing, I dont think GM does a very good job of letting owners no about recalls (they probably want it that way)

have them take it to GM dealer and run the vin # if it was recalled it will come up, they may pay half the cost of painting it though. if it was reacalled

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
Old 06-20-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

probably. i know there was a recall on gray and blue cause they were the worst. i find it funny that everyone says SILVER was the worst. i dont know if they confuse it with gray or what, but mine is an 89 silver and my paint has held up like a champ - 12yrs in the florida sun. and i know a few other people with 88-91 silver gm vehicles and no problems. gray on the other hand....every one ive seen has been all screwed up! its the first few years they experimented with a different primer/base coat/clear coat combo and the clearcoat wouldnt stick

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 11:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

mph,
you must ev gitn lucky, the paint blows off my truck, Imj not joking I can actually see it flake away on the hood, while going down the interstate.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
Old 06-21-2001, 12:53 AM
Veteran

JaxZ71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, my S-10 was two tone Garnett and Silver (not red and gray). The silver was peeling after 2 years. (Yes I washed and waxed it)

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement